Foothill College Parliament
- How the college facilities may be organized to promote community among students and
among faculty/staff in collaboration with the Revenue and Resources Committee.
- Action items were: make contact with R&R Committee and learn more about their vision and how to work together
- Possibly report and share by next CCC meeting.
- How the college can "promote consistent and clear communication in order to create
a more informed, cohesive and engaged community".
- Ideas were to create two separate websites marketed towards Students and Faculty/Staff, respectively.
- Determine a workflow to push and ID pertinent emails based on recipient (i.e., student, faculty, staff, etc)
- Use more community assets and marketing assets to share information.
- Defined internal vs. external community.
- No action items set, but want to involve Marketing Dept. more
- What the college's focus/priority may be as it relates to EMP goals:
- Encourage student participation in leadership and activities outside the classroom (including service/work-based learning) that engages students with the College and the community. (Service Leadership)
- Provide effective on-boarding, support and professional development for all college employees. (professional development strategy plan?)
- Encourage employee participation in leadership and activities that engage them with the College and the community. (as related to Service Leadership?)
- Increase lifelong learning opportunities for our community. (Celebrity Forum and Service Leadership?)
- Promote decision-making that respects the diverse needs of the entire college community. (evaluate new governance design)
SPRING and SUMMER 2018
May 12, 2018: Attended an ASCCC Guided Pathways event at Evergreen Valley College
Began communicating with discipline faculty, counselors, and deans to explore a process for mapping ADTs
Scheduled two Brown Bag workshops - Postponed due to Work-to-Contract
Planned "Opening Day" campus workshop for Guided Pathways
Drafted Guided Pathways Work Plan for 2018-19 academic year
Opening Day: Involved faculty, classified staff, and administrators in an activity designed around recognizing the need for a GP framework at Foothill College. At the end of this activity, we collected a large list of interested staff, faculty, and admins.
Performed a first round of focus groups with Counselors, some Student Services, and Students to begin identifying challenges related to the GP pillars: Clarify the Path, Enter the Path, Stay on the Path, and Ensure Learning.
Completed initial sketches of ADT maps for Psychology, Sociology, Business, Computer Science, English, and Biology. These initial sketches were made in collaboration with discipline faculty, deans, articulation officer, counselor, and researcher.
Sought new faculty lead to help plan and facilitate GP efforts.
WINTER 2019 - in progress
In progress: Perform focus groups with students and with learning communities to further explore strengths and challenges in the 4 pillars
Feb 22: A half day GP Summit during which groups from across the campus are invited to learn about and discuss feedback from the various focus groups conducted during Fall 2018 and Winter 2019. Our goal is to draft a "Problem Statement" which defines what we as an institution believe to be the problem for which GP might serve as a solution
March 15: A second half-day GP Summit to involve the campus in developing a Mission and Values statement to inform our future GP planning.
Continue to develop ADT maps and collaborate with counselors to turn initial sketches of the Biology ADT map into a first draft, while being mindful of the many nuances/variations students must consider when transfer planning
Please contact me!
Veronica Casas, President's Office
Administration Building 1900