shelves with cereal and other dry food

Owls Nest

Students with Dependent Children

If you are a parent with dependent children, you may qualify for priority registration and additional resources. Learn about support services below.

Female graduate holding a young female child


Priority Registration

Foothill College supports parenting students, in accordance with the Education Code, by offering priority registration for students who are parents with dependendent under 18 years old.

Priority registratrion for eligible Student-Parents will be available beginning Fall 2023 registration.

For questions or more information regarding, contact,  contact Admissions and Records 

Admissions and Records
Student Services Building 8100, Room 8101


The CalFresh Program (formerly known as Food Stamps) helps low-income households increase their food-buying power to meet their household's nutritional needs.

CalFresh benefits issued through Electronic Benefit Transfer, also known as EBT card, can be used in grocery stores and participating Farmers Markets.  

CalFresh is based on income and is open to children, U.S. citizens, and certain non-citizens.

To help you determine whether you may be eligible, reach out to Sonia Sanchez at or call her at 650.949.7618. You can also apply directly at

California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC)

If you work and have low income, you may qualify for the California Earned Income Tax Credit (CalEITC). This credit gives you a refund or reduces your tax owed.  

If you qualify for CalEITC and have a child under the age of 6, you may also qualify for the Young Child Tax Credit (YCTC). (See below). Together, these state credits can put hundreds or even thousands of dollars in your pocket. Filing your state tax return is required to claim both of these credits.

Young Child Tax Credit (YCTC)

Do you have a child under the age of 6?

If you qualify for CalEITC (see above) and have a child under the age of 6, you may also qualify for a refundable tax credit of up to $1000 through the Young Child Tax Credit (YCTC).

If you qualify, you may see a reduced tax bill or a bigger refund.  Use this calculator link: to see if you qualify and estimate the amount of your credit.

California Special Supplemental Food Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC)

The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) promotes the health of low-income pregnant, postpartum, and breastfeeding people, infants, and children up to age 5 who are at nutritional risk by providing nutritious foods to supplement diets, information on healthy eating including breastfeeding promotion and support, and referrals to health care.  

You may qualify if you receive Medi-Cal, CalWORKs (TANF) or CalFresh (SNAP) benefits. WIC welcomes military families, migrant families, fathers, foster parents and legal guardians with eligible children. Participating in the WIC program does not affect the immigration status of anyone currently in the U.S.

See if you qualify by using the WIC eligibility assessment tool.

Set up an appointment at a WIC local agency near you. Visit the website for WIC families to find a WIC local agency site near you.  

Helpful Resources for Student-Parents at Foothill

Financial Aid


  • Are you a single parent? You may be eligible for CARE (Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education), which is part of our EOPS program. Learn about EOPS/CARE here.

Hunger, Housing & Health Resources

Are you stressed and struggling to secure the daily essentials of food and housing? At Foothill, we care about your health and wellness and are here to help.

We offer the following services:

For help navigating services, you can contact Sonia Sanchez, our Basic Needs Coordinator, at or 650.949.7618.

Off-Campus Resources


Children, Families & Early Childhood Care – The SCC R&R Program offers information, options about childcare, and work based on referrals. There are multiple methods to obtain a list of information based on your needs.

The phone number to call and obtain information is 669-212-5437, you can also send an email to To access other childcare providers please visit which will provide you with the nearest providers based on your zip code.

Use this website and find a childcare provider that currently has openings. Each center will have a contact number to obtain more information and begin the enrollment process.

Summer Meals for Kids and Local Camps

Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County

Catholic Charities of Santa Clara County offers various locations for kids and their families to obtain prepared meals (hot or cold). They have various locations and times throughout the week. Please access the website to see the various locations and times food is served.

County of Santa Clara offers various Summer Camps and Enrichment Activities. Documentation will need to be provided to prove enrollment and that you meet the eligibility criteria. You are eligible to enroll if you are between the ages of 0-18 years old and meet one of the following conditions: if you are adopted, part of foster care, kinship care, Low Income, Probation, or Receiving DFCS Services.

KidzToPros is a website that allows you to find available summer camps throughout the Bay Area.


There are several ways to apply to Medi-Cal—by mail, at a county service office, or online. The online website will be direct you to the different options available and prompt you to the application based on your selection. Learn about Medi-Cal here.

placeholder image

We're Here to Help!

Owls Nest
Basic Needs Center


Building 2100, Room 2152

Owls Nest Office Hours