Become a Respiratory Therapist
We are in the business of preparing some of the best Respiratory Care Practitioners in the nation.
The field needs motivated people who
- want to help others as a health care provider
- are mechanically inclined
- have solid communication skills
- think clearly under stress
Degree & Certificates
Associate in Science Degree
NEW! Certificate of Achievement
What is Respiratory Therapy?
Our two-year Respiratory Therapy program can prepare you for employment in the exciting high-tech health care field of respiratory care.
Respiratory Therapists manage the ventilation of critically ill patients as well as provide acute and chronic care to patients with pulmonary disease.
Most work is performed in the hospital environment. Program graduates are allowed to take all national board exams. The Foothill College Respiratory Therapy Program has an excellent pass record for national board and state licensure examinations.
Respiratory therapists can specialize their work
- Hospital staff respiratory therapist
- Respiratory therapy management
- Respiratory therapy education
- Pediatric or neonatal respiratory care
- Pulmonary function testing
- Cardiac stress testing
- Bronchoscopy assisting
- Emergency respiratory care
- Respiratory therapy home care
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
The Foothill Respiratory Therapy Program prepares you for entry-level positions in the field, as a registry-eligible graduate therapist.
- Jobs include hospital staff respiratory therapist and independent home care respiratory therapist.
- Average salaries for San Francisco Bay Area Therapists in May of 2011 were approximately $80,000 - $90,000 per year.
- The average starting salary range was $34 to $36 per hour. Shift differentials and job duties can raise these salaries.
- Therapists can choose to specialize in newborn, pediatric or adult intensive care depending upon where they are employed.
- With experience, supervisory and educational opportunities are available.
If you are interested in becoming a respiratory therapist, learn more about our program at Foothill.
|Program: Respiratory Therapy
Length: 2 years
Number Accepted: 30
Application Window: October 1–April 30
Application Due: April 30
Prerequisites: Yes — See application.
Approx. Cost of Program: $4,500
National Lic./Cert.: Yes
State Lic.Cert.: Yes
Est. Annual Salary: $75,000-$100,000
We're Here to Help!
Admissions and Records
|Brenda Hanning, RRT, RCP
|Ram Subramaniam, Division Dean
|To meet with the dean, contact the Student & Faculty Support Center.|
|Biological & Health Sciences Division|