Diagnostic Medical Sonography
About the Program
Diagnostic Medical Sonograph is one of the most dynamic and fascinating careers available in medical imaging.
- The sonographer enjoys working with highly technical equipment using high frequency sound waves to view the human body and assist the physician in diagnosis.
- The Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS) is qualified by professional credentialing, academic and clinical experience to provide diagnostic patient care services using high frequency sound waves and related diagnostic procedures.
Characteristics for a Successful Sonographer
The sonographer must maintain a high standard of medical ethics along with requisite emotional maturity.
- He/she is self directed, highly motivated to increase the level of understanding and knowledge of the field including pathophysiology, disease, and new procedures as they evolve.
- Additionally, the sonographer must possess excellent communication skills, exercise good judgment, work well with other team members, and can work autonomously.
- The successful sonographer has the ability to conceptualize in 3-dimensional form, with excellent psychomotor skills, employs intellectual curiosity, uses accurate analytical capabilities, and dedicated to the care of patients.
- He/she is the health care professional responsible for the acquisition of information to aid with patient diagnosis.
Degree & Program Types
Check out this list for a quick view of our diagnostic medical sonography programs. For program requirements and full course listings, view degrees and certificates information.
Associate in Science Degree
Certificate of Achievement
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program has been in operation since 1984. The Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org) upon the recommendation of the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS). The college is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
25400 US Highway 19 North,
Clearwater, FL 33763
Joint Review Commission on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS)
6021 University Boulevard
Ellicott City, MD 21043
A diagnostic medical sonography career is for you if you are a health care professional who cares about people and who also enjoys working with highly technical equipment. If this describes you then join us and become a valuable member of the health care professional team known as the Diagnostic Medical Sonographer.
|Program: Diagnostic Medical Sonography (Ultrasound)
Length: 18 months
Number Accepted: 15–20
Application Due: May 1, 2019
Prerequisites: Yes — See application.
Approx. Cost of Program: $4,500
National Lic./Cert.: Yes
State Lic.Cert.: No
Estimated Annual Salary: $65,000-$90,000
We're Here to Help!
Jenevieve Alvarez, Health Career Coordinator
|Kathleen Austin, Interim Program Director
|Ram Subramaniam, Division Dean
Division Administrative Assistant
|Biological & Health Sciences Division|