ASFC VTA SmartPass
Ride VTA with Your SmartPass
Effective Spring 2018 the SmartPass quarterly fees are:
- Part-time students enrolled in 5.9 or fewer units $5.75
- Part-time students enrolled in 6-11.9 units $6.75
- Full-time students enrolled in 12 or more units $7.75
The VTA SmartPass provides all Foothill students unlimited rides on Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) buses and light rail while enrolled in credit classes at the College.
The SmartPass is valid only for VTA transit services within Santa Clara County. The
SmartPass remains active for the duration of the quarter. For continuing students
the SmartPass will "rollover" and remain active for additional quarters. Only the
SmartPass is deactivated when you leave Foothill College, the Clipper card remains
active and is yours to keep.
To get your SmartPass, visit the Foothill College Smart Shop, room 2016, and ask for your VTA SmartPass Clipper card. At the Sunnyvale campus visit the Student Resource Center, room 211.
The VTA SmartPass quarterly fee is automatically waived if a student lives outside of the Santa Clara County and is enrolled only in online class(es) for the quarter.
The following restrictions apply:
- You must be registered in at least one credit class to be eligible for SmartPass.
- All students who are enrolled in at least one in person class or hybrid class will be assessed the SmartPass fee.
- Students who only take online classes AND live outside Santa Clara county will not be assessed the SmartPass fee.
- If you live outside Santa Clara County and have been exempted from the fee but would like to get a SmartPass, you may request to "opt into" SmartPass by visiting the Smart Shop, room 2016 . You will be accessed the quarterly fee.
The SmartPass Clipper card is a proximity card. To use your Clipper card, locate the Clipper card reader at the entrance of the transit vehicle, fare gates or station and tag your Clipper card to the Clipper logo.
Your Clipper card can be used for other transportation agencies provided you add funds or purchase passes to be saved on to the card.
Bus Routes to Foothill College
The SmartPass is valid seven days a week for VTA buses and light rail. If there is no easy route for you to commute by bus to school, you can still use the SmartPass on weekends or any other time that is convenient.
VTA Express routes are not included in the SmartPass. However, the SmartPass allos students to ride the Express route at a 50% discount. Cash must be added to the Clipper Card before boarding VTA Express routes.
The SmartPass is not valid on ACE, Amtrak, BART, Caltrain, Highway 17 Express, Dumbarton Express, Monterey-Salinas Transit, and SamTrans.
How is the SmartPass Program Funded?
All enrolled Foothill students are eligible for the VTA ASFC SmartPass program through a mandatory quarterly fee, which was established by the Foothill Associated Student Body (ASFC) during a spring 2017 proposition vote that passed and was approved by the Foothill-De Anza Board of Trustees. Effective Spring 2018 part-time students with 0 to 5.9 units pay $5.75 per quarter, part-time students with 6 to 11.9 units pay $6.75 per quarter, and full-time students with 12 or more units pay $7.75 per quarter.
Come to Room 2016
Campus Center, Building 2000 Upper Level Room 2016
Winter Hours: January 2 - March 27Monday-Thursday 8:00 a.m. – 3:45 p.m.