Refund Policies and Procedures
A community college district shall not refund any enrollment fee paid by a student for program changes made after the first two weeks of instruction for a primary term-length course, or after the 10 percent point of length of the course for a short-term course, unless the program changes are a result of action by the district to cancel or reschedule a class or to drop a student pursuant to Section 58106(g) where the student fails to meet a prerequisite.
In accordance with Section 58508 of Title V, California Code of Regulation, the college may withhold $10 from your enrollment fee refund.
How to Request a Refund
Refunds are not automatic. You must submit a request.
You can now submit a refund request through your MyPortal account.
NOTE: Most refunds will be processed no earlier than the first day of the third week of term.
- See drop deadlines for your sections in MyPortal under View Your Class Schedule.
- Drop your classes before the drop deadlines. If your class meets one time only, drop your class before the date of the class meeting.
- A class added after the drop deadline is not eligible for a refund.
- Refunds due to drops before the start of term will not include the $10 refund service charge.
- Refund: Total credit, minus $10 refund service charge, for class(es) dropped within the deadline. See academic calendar.
- Effective 2015 summer, out-of-state and foreign tuition fee will only be refundable if a class is dropped before the drop deadline. See drop deadlines for your sections in MyPortal under View Your Class Schedule. For a 12-week class prior to 2015 summer, foreign and non-resident tuition would be refunded 100% for classes dropped within the first week and only 75% refunded for the second week. See your class schedule in MyPortal for drop with refund deadlines.
- Refund/credit of parking fee: NO refund after 2nd week of quarter or 1st week of summer session except cancellation of all classes by the college for quarterly parking permit. Annual parking permit is non-refundable at all times. Decal must be returned to the Cashier's Office to qualify for the refund/credit.
- Students enrolled in courses at both Foothill and De Anza for the same quarter only have to pay the basic fees at the first school they enrolled in for that quarter. It is the student's responsibility to request that the basic fees be removed at the second school. To request basic fees removed you can send an email to email@example.com or call the Cashier's Office at (650) 949-7331.
Refunds: In-State Tuition
- For a 12-week class
Drop/withdraw within the first two weeks of the quarter.
- For a non 12-week class
See the class schedule for refund deadlines.
- The last refund date for your section is in your Myportal under View Your Class Schedule.
- Basic fees: 100 percent refund if class is canceled or student drops prior to deadline.
- Enrollment fees: 100 percent refund for classes dropped prior to deadline, less service fee.
- Parking fee: 100 percent refund if all the student's classes are canceled or student drops prior to drop deadline. The shipping/handling charge is non-refundable and the permit must be turned in with the refund request prior to the deadline.
- Requesting refunds: Refunds must be requested via MyPortal. (See How to Request a Refund instructions above.) Allow two to three weeks processing time.
- Refunds are not automatically mailed out.
- Student ID card and parking permit must be returned to receive refund.
- No refunds for drops or withdrawals after the deadlines.
- It is the responsibility of each student to familiarize himself/herself with the refund policy.
- Requests for an exception to the refund policy should be submitted to the Admissions and Records Office, using a petition form.
- A service fee, not to exceed $10 per quarter, may be deducted from enrollment fee refunds for classes dropped after the quarter begins. You will not be charged a service fee for canceled classes.
- Contributions for the Foothill Tutorial Center of $3 or more are suggested; tax-deductible.
FEES FOR PARKING AND A STUDENT BODY CARD ARE REFUNDABLE ONLY DURING THE FIRST TWO WEEKS OF QUARTER (AND ONLY IN THE FIRST WEEK OF SUMMER SESSION). STUDENTS MUST RETURN THE DECAL TO THE CASHIER'S OFFICE. YOU MUST DROP ALL COURSES BY THE DROP FOR REFUND DEADLINE.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Cashiering Team at 650.949.7331 if you have any questions.
We're Here to Help!
Student Services Building 8100, Room 8101
Can't find an answer on our website?
TEXT your admissions or registration question/concern to Foothill's ASK ME! service.
Text questions will be answered during regular business hours.
A & R Office Hours
MAIN CAMPUSMon. & Tues. 8 a.m.–6 p.m.
Wed. & Thurs. 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Fri. 8 a.m.–3 p.m.
SUNNYVALE CENTERMon.–Thurs. 10 a.m.–7:30 p.m.
Fri. 10 a.m.–2 p.m.
HOLIDAYS & EXCEPTIONSFriday-Monday, Feb. 15-18 President's Day Recess
Monday-Friday, April 1-5 Spring Recess
Academic Dates & Deadlines