About the Program
Umoja, a Kiswahili word meaning unity, is a year-long learning community dedicated to enhancing the cultural and educational experiences of African American and other students.
We actively serve and promote student success through a curriculum focused on the legacy of the African and African American diasporas.
Congratulations to our 2019-20 Umoja program students and those in the community who graduated or transferred this year!
- College tours
- Various faculty and peer tutoring options
- Culturally relevant literary field trips
- Student regional and national conferences
- Book vouchers and school supplies
- A dedicated academic counselor
- A faculty or staff mentor
Umoja students benefit from
- A tight-knit campuswide community
- Comprehensive student support programs
- On and off-campus enrichment activities, including university visits and conferences
- A safe place to discuss the real issues that affect students and the broader community
The Proof is in the Faces
View the gallery of our Umoja Community in the classroom and at events throughout the year.