Online Degrees & Certificates
AA Transfer English
The Associate in Arts in English for Transfer degree is designed to prepare students for transfer to California State Universities (CSUs). Students who complete the Associate in Arts in English for Transfer degree will be ensured preferential transfer status to a CSU as English majors and/or majors in related disciplines. The Associate in Arts in English for Transfer degree requirements will fulfill the lower division major requirements at many CSUs. Students are advised, however, to meet with a counselor to assess the course requirements for a specific CSU.
The Associate in Arts in English for Transfer degree will enable students to develop a strong foundation in critical reading, writing, and thinking, literary analysis and research methods, and will also offer a wide variety of elective courses in English and other related fields for students to develop a broad knowledge base of literary reading and writing that will prepare them for the requirements of upper-division coursework in English.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will be able to compose a thesis-based essay that clearly communicates a logical, evidence-supported argument.
- Students will demonstrate, in writing, comprehension and critical analysis of college-level texts.
A minimum of 90 units is required to include
Completion of one of the following general eduation patterns:
- CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or the *Intersegmental Genearl Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) 49-58 units (full certification is required)
- Core and suppport courses (27-34 units, of which 14-20 units may satisfy the GE requirement)
- Transferable electives necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be completed with a grade of "C" (or "P") or better. In addition, the student must obtain a minimum GPA of 2.0.
* IMPORTANT NOTE: Although it is possible to fulfill the requirements for the Associate Degree for Transfer by completing the IGETC for UC pattern, admission to CSU requires completion of an Oral Communication course (IGETC Area 1C; CSU GE Area A-1); therefore, students who plan to transfer to CSU should complete this course as part of their GE or elective units.
Online Courses for English
The courses listed BELOW are offered as online courses at least once every tow years. Please see online Schedule of Classes for verification.
- For a complete listing of online courses offered during the current quarter, visit Online Course Information.
- If you need any additional degree information or confirmation, please contact the Counseling Division.
NOTE: Students having difficulty attaining an associate degree because of timing or availability of classes should consult with a counselor to submit a petition for course substitution.
Core Courses (5-9 units)
Select ONE of the following Options:
|ENGL 1C||Argumentative Writing & Critical Thinking||5|
|or ENGL 1CH||Honors Argumentative Writing & Critical Thinking||5|
|ENGL 16||Introduction to Literature||4|
|ENGL 1B||Composition, Critical Reading & Thinking through Literature||5|
|or ENGL 1BH||Honors Composition, Critical Reading & Thinking through Literature||5|
Support Courses (22-25 units)
Complete TWO courses from List A:
|ENGL 43A||Survey of British Literature I: Beowulf to the Late 18th Century||5|
|or ENGL 43AH||Honors Survey of British Literature I: Beowulf to the Late 18th Century||5|
|ENGL 43B||Survey of British Literature II: The Romantic Period to the Present||5|
|or ENGL 43BH||Honors Survey of British Literature II: The Romantic Period to the Present||5|
|ENGL 45A||Survey of American Literature I: Beginnings to 1865||5|
|or ENGL 45AH||Honors Survey of American Literature I: Beginnings to 1865||5|
|ENGL 45B||Survey of American Literature II: 1865 to the Present||5|
|or ENGL 45BH||Honors Survey of American Literature II: 1865 to the Present||5|
|ENGL 47A||World Literature I||5|
|or ENGL 47AH||Honors World Literature I||5|
|ENGL 47B||World Literature II||5|
|or ENGL 47BH||Honors World Literature II||5|
And complete TWO courses from List B (or any course from List A not used above):
|CRWR 6||Introduction to Creative Writing||5|
|ENGL 11||Introduction to Poetry||4|
|ENGL 14||Traveling the World through Contemporary Literature||4|
|ENGL 16 *||Introduction to Literature||4|
|ENGL 17||Introduction to Shakespeare||4|
* If not used to satisfy the core requirement.
And complete ONE course from List C (or any course from List A or B not used above):
|CRWR 39A||Introduction to Short Fiction Writing||5|
|CRWR 41A||Poetry Writing||5|
|ENGL 1B *||Composition, Critical Reading & Thinking through Literature||5|
|or ENGL 1BH *||Honors Composition, Critical Reading & Thinking through Literature||5|
|ENGL 1C *||Argumentative Writing & Critical Thinking||5|
|or ENGL 1CH *||Honors Argumentative Writing & Critical Thinking||5|
|ENGL 5||LGBT Literature||4|
|ENGL 7||Native American Literature||4|
|ENGL 8||Children's Literature||4|
|ENGL 12||African American Literature||4|
|ENGL 18A||Vampire Literature: Multicultural Representations of the Bloodsucker||4|
|ENGL 22||Women Writers||4|
|ENGL 24||Unmasking Comics: The Dawn of the Graphic Novel||4|
|ENGL 31||Latino/a Literature||4|
|ENGL 34C||Literature into Film||4|
|ENGL 37||Science Fiction Literature: Reimagineering Reality||4|
|ENGL 38||Literature of Protest||4|
|ENGL 40||Asian American Literature||4|
|JAPN 3||Elementary Japanese III||5|
|SPAN 3||Elementary Spanish III||5|
* If not used to satisfy the core requirement.
Note that this is a list of fully online courses that satisfy degree requirements.
For a list of on-campus courses that satisfy degree requirements, please visit Associate Degree for Transfer-English 2020-2021.
Based on the 2020 - 2021 degree program.