Online Degrees & Certificates
AA Transfer Spanish
Spanish is the national language of the majority of the countries of the western hemisphere. It is also the fastest growing language in California. Students completing this degree will have a foundation for the field of Spanish through the study of Spanish language, culture and literature and will acquire the abilities to engage in conversation, understand the essential points of a narrative or explanation, read and comprehend literature, write summaries and engage in correspondence.
The Associate in Arts in Spanish for Transfer degree prepares students for transfer to California State Universities (CSUs). Students who complete the Associate in Arts in Spanish for Transfer degree will be ensured preferential transfer status to CSUs for Spanish majors and majors in related disciplines. The Associate in Arts in Spanish for Transfer degree requirements will fulfill the lower division major requirements at many CSUs. Students are advised, however, to meet with a counselor to assess the course requirements for specific CSUs. This degree may also provide excellent preparation for other majors.
Learn more about the program on the Spanish website.
Program Learning Outcomes
- The student will be able to communicate with native speakers of Spanish, using the appropriate language for any given situation.
- The student will, by presenting research, demonstrate knowledge of Hispanic society, culture, and politics.
A minimum of 90 units is required to include:
Completion of one of the following general eduation patterns:
- CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or the *Intersegmental Genearl Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) 49-58 units (full certification is required)
- Core and suppport courses (34 units, of which 10-14 units may satisfy the GE requirement)
- Transferable electives necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be completed with a grade of "C" (or "P") or better. In addition, the student must obtain a minimum GPA of 2.0.
* IMPORTANT NOTE: Although it is possible to fulfill the requirements for the Associate Degree for Transfer by completing the IGETC for UC pattern, admission to CSU requires completion of an Oral Communication course (IGETC Area 1C; CSU GE Area A-1); therefore, students who plan to transfer to CSU should complete this course as part of their GE or elective units.
Online Courses for Spanish
For a complete listing of online courses offered during the current quarter, visit Online Course Information. The courses listed BELOW are offered as online courses at least once every two years. Please see online Schedule of Classes for verification.
If you need any additional degree information or confirmation, please contact the Counseling Division.
NOTE: Students having difficulty attaining an associate degree because of timing or availability of classes should consult with a counselor to submit a petition for course substitution.
Please Note: If the student places out of any course and is not awarded units for that course, the student will have to take additional units to compensate for the course/units needed to reach at least 27 total units in the major (per Title 5 regulations). Course substitutions are made at the discretion of the local college and may or may not be delineated in the local degree. Students should see a counselor for details.
Core Courses (30 units)
|SPAN 1||Elementary Spanish I||5|
|SPAN 2||Elementary Spanish II||5|
||Elementary Spanish III||5|
||Intermediate Spanish I||5|
||Intermediate Spanish II||5|
||Intermediate Spanish III||5|
Support Courses (4 units)
Select ONE of the following:
|ENGL 31||Latino/a Literature||4|
|HIST 8||History of Latin America||4|
|SPAN 25A||Advanced Composition & Reading I||4|
||Advanced Composition & Reading II||4|
Note that this is a list of fully online courses that satisfy degree requirements.
For a list of on-campus courses that satisfy degree requirements, please visit Associate Degree for Transfer-Spanish 2021-2022.
Based on the 2021 - 2022 degree program.