Online Degrees & Certificates
AA in Spanish
Spanish is the language of the majority of Western hemisphere countries and is also the fastest growing language in California. For those planning to work in the health industry, education, law or public service, knowledge of Spanish is an invaluable asset. A degree in Spanish is an excellent way to expand career opportunities.
Program Learning Outcomes
- The student will be able to communicate with native speakers of Spanish, using the appropriate language for any given situation.
- The student will, by presenting research, demonstrate knowledge of Hispanic society, culture, and politics.
Associate Degree Requirements
Units required for Major: 27-30
English proficiency: ENGL 1A, 1AH, 1S & 1T, or equivalent.
Mathematics proficiency: MATH 17, 105, 108 or equivalent.
A minimum of 90 units is required to include
- Completion of one of the following general eduation patterns:
- Foothill General Education
- CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or
- the Intersegmental Genearl Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
- Core courses (15-30 units)
- Support courses (0-12 units)
- Additional elective course work may be necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement for the associate degree.
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be taken for a letter grade. In addition, a grade of "C" or better is required for all core and support courses used for the degree or certificates.
Online Courses for Spanish
The courses listed BELOW are offered as online courses at least once every two years. Please see online Schedule of Classes for verification.
- For a complete listing of online courses offered during the current quarter, visit Online Course Information.
- If you need any additional degree information or confirmation, please contact the Counseling Division.
NOTE: Students having difficulty attaining an associate degree because of timing or availability of classes should consult with a counselor to submit a petition for course substitution.
Core Courses (15-30 units)
|SPAN 1||Elementary Spanish I||5|
|SPAN 2||Elementary Spanish II||5|
|SPAN 3||Elementary Spanish III||5|
|SPAN 4||Intermediate Spanish I||5|
|SPAN 5||Intermediate Spanish II||5|
|SPAN 6||Intermediate Spanish III||5|
Support Courses (0-12 units)
Students completing the full core course sequence (SPAN 1-6) are not required to complete support courses for the degree.
|SPAN 25A||Advanced Composition & Reading I||4|
|SPAN 25B||Advanced Composition & Reading II||4|
For a list of on-campus courses that satisfy degree requirements, please visit Spanish 2018-2019 Degree, Certificate or Transfer Programs.
Based on the 2018 - 2019 degree program.