Online Degrees & Certificates
AA in Art
The studio art program empowers students to learn diverse perspectives and practical portfolio art skills for transfer into art schools and university studio art programs. The Associate in Arts degree and Certificate of Achievement offer a range of beginning to intermediate level ceramics, digital arts, drawing, life drawing, 2-D, and 3-D design, painting and art theory. Our equitable schedule of courses is offered on weekdays, weeknights, weekends, face to face, hybrid, and online to fit students' needs.
Associate Degree for Transfer
This program also offers an Associate Degree for Transfer. Learn more and review the degree requirements on the Studio Arts AA-T listing.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Create two- and three-dimensional artwork using drawing, design, ceramics, and/or digital tools, materials, methods, and techniques.
- Create artwork that communicates diverse cultural and personal perspectives, and the human condition.
- Analyze and assess diverse historical and current two- and three-dimensional works of art as it relates to art and theory.
- Translate concepts and visual experiences into images, tactile, and digital forms.
AA = Associate in Arts Degree
CA = Certificate of Achievement
Units required for Major: 32.5
A minimum of 90 units is required to include:
- Completion of one of the following general eduation patterns:
- Foothill General Education
- CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or
- the Intersegmental Genearl Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
- Core courses (16.5 units)
- Support courses (16 units)
- Additional elective course work may be necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement for the associate degree.
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be taken for a letter grade. In addition, a grade of "C" or better is required for all core and support courses used for the degree.
Associate Degree Requirements
|English Proficiency: Select one of the following|
|ENGL 1A||Composition & Reading||5|
|ENGL 1AH||Honors Composition & Reading||5|
|ENGL 1S||Integrated Composition & Reading|
|and ENGL 1T||and Integrated Composition & Reading||8|
|Mathematics Proficiency: Select one of the following|
|MATH 105||Intermediate Algebra||5|
|MATH 180||Quantitative Reasoning||5|
|or||any MATH course approved for Foothill GE area V, Communication & Analytical Thinking|
Core Courses (16.5 units)
|ART 1||Introduction to Art||4.5|
|ART 4A||Fundamentals in Drawing||4|
|ART 5A||2-D Foundations||4|
|ART 5B||3-D Foundations||4|
Support Courses (16 units)
Complete four support courses from one of the following lists
|List 1: Drawing and Figure Studies|
|ART 4B||Intermediate Drawing||4|
|ART 4C||Representational Drawing||4|
|ART 4D||Figure Drawing I||4|
|ART 4E||Heads & Hands Drawing||4|
|ART 4I||Figure Drawing II||4|
|ART 4J||Figure Modelling||4|
|List 2: Painting|
|ART 19A||Oil Painting I||4|
|ART 19B||Acrylic Painting I||4|
|ART 19C||Oil Painting II||4|
|ART 19D||Acrylic Painting II||4|
|ART 47A||Watercolor I||4|
|ART 47B||Watercolor II||4|
|List 3: Ceramics|
|ART 44||Ceramic Sculpture||4|
|ART 45A||Beginning Ceramics Handbuilding||4|
|ART 45C||Advanced Ceramics||4|
|ART 45F||Low-Temperature Ceramic Firing & Glazing Techniques||4|
|List 4: Digital and Color Theory|
|ART 15A||Digital Painting I||4|
|ART 15B||Digital Painting II||4|
|ART 20A||Color I||4|
|ART 20B||Color II||4|
For a list of on-campus courses that satisfy degree requirements, please visit Art 2021-2022 Degrees & Certificates.
Based on the 2021 - 2022 degree program.