Teaching & Learning Center
Tutoring Process & Guidelines
The mission of the Teaching and Learning Center is to provide academic reading and writing support to Foothill College students so that they can become self-aware, active, and independent learners.
The TLC offers one-to-one skills-based support with faculty tutors.
- In a session, a faculty tutor will ask the student questions to help identify strategies to finish his or her work effectively and independently.
- All students will sign a contract outlining the TLC policies before their first session.
Our faculty tutors help students to:
- identify frequent grammatical or mechanical mistakes and how to fix them;
- write clearly and concisely;
- identify strategies to become active editors and proofreaders; and
- identify strategies for reading comprehension and note-taking.
Because the role of a tutor is helping students become independent learners—equipped
with knowledge and skills to be successful on their own—TLC tutors will NOT revise,
edit, or proofread essays.
Subjects We Support
Reading and writing support is not limited to English or ESL classes.
We encourage you to seek help in any course that requires reading and writing, including History, Anthropology, Dental Hygiene, Biology, and more.