Teaching & Learning Center
Become a TLC Peer Tutor
- Provide tutorial support services for Foothill College students seeking assistance with reading, writing, conversation skills, and study skills;
- Develop and present workshops;
- Facilitate study sessions;
- Participate in ongoing subject-matter workshops;
- Visit classes to inform Foothill College students about the TLC’s services and policies.
- Salary $18/hr
ALL APPLICANTS MUST
- Be a Foothill College student, enrolled in at least 12 units;
- Be available to enroll in LA 61A: Tutor Training;
- Be available to work at least 4 hours per week;
- Be available to attend 1 hour of professional development training per week.
- Have passed a transfer-level English course with a grade of B or higher;
- Have a minimum overall Foothill College GPA of 3.0;
- Are able to contribute to the development and presentation of workshops, information sessions, and other supplemental academic support services;
- Are patient and have a strong desire to help students achieve their goals;
- Are motivated to learn new skills;
- Possess the ability to work with peers in one-on-one tutoring sessions, as well as the ability to speak in front of groups and present workshops;
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of the writing process;
- Possess time management and stress management skills, including the ability to balance the demands of employment with academic pursuits;
- Understand the importance of confidentiality regarding the students who seek academic support at the TLC;
- Have an understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, linguistic, and cultural backgrounds of students.
|Experience providing academic support to first-generation students and students from diverse communities is preferred; experience working in an office environment is also beneficial.|
In order to apply, please submit the following:
- A cover letter that addresses skills and past experiences relevant to being a peer tutor, as well as your reasons for wanting to be a peer tutor;
- A resume;
- A copy of your unofficial college transcript from Foothill College, as well as any other colleges you may have attended (if available);
- A writing sample from the past 6 months that demonstrates your ability to compose college-level arguments and analysis;
- A schedule that indicates when you will be available to tutor and when you will be in class during the quarter you are applying to work as a TLC peer tutor;
- The names, professional titles, and contact info (email address) of 2 professional references.
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All application materials should be submitted as separate Word or PDF files.
- Address your application to Katherine Lee.
DROP-IN (3/12 - 6/24)
BY-APPOINTMENT (3/12 - 6/24)
GROUP CONVERSATION PRACTICE (3/12 - 6/24)
Teaching & Learning Center
Building 3600 (behind the Library)