Teaching & Learning Center
Become a TLC Peer Tutor
For Spring Quarter, 2019
TLC peer tutors are responsible for providing support services to Foothill College students through tutorial sessions, small-group workshops, and supplemental study sessions.
Salary is $17 per hour.
- Provide tutorial support services for Foothill College students seeking assistance with reading, writing, conversation skills, and study skills;
- Develop and present workshops;
- Facilitate study sessions;
- Participate in ongoing subject-matter workshops;
- Visit classes to inform Foothill College students about the TLC’s services and policies.
All applicants must
- Be a Foothill College student;
- Be available to enroll in LA 61A: Tutor Training;
- Be available to work at least 4 hours per week.
- Have passed a transfer-level English course with a grade of B or higher;
- Have a minimum overall Foothill College GPA of 3.0;
- Are able to contribute to the development and presentation of workshops, information sessions, and other supplemental academic support services;
- Are patient and have a strong desire to help students achieve their goals;
- Are motivated to learn new skills;
- Possess the ability to work with peers in one-on-one tutoring sessions, as well as the ability to speak in front of groups and present workshops;
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of the writing process;
- Possess time management and stress management skills, including the ability to balance the demands of employment with academic pursuits;
- Understand the importance of confidentiality regarding the students who seek academic support at the TLC.
Experience providing academic support to first-generation students and students from diverse communities is preferred; experience working in an office environment is also beneficial.
In order to apply, please submit the following:
- A cover letter that addresses skills and past experiences relevant to being a peer tutor, as well as your reasons for wanting to be a peer tutor;
- A resume;
- A copy of your unofficial college transcript from Foothill College, as well as any other colleges you may have attended (if available);
- A writing sample from the past 6 months that demonstrates your ability to compose college-level arguments and analysis;
- A schedule that indicates when you will be available to tutor and when you will be in class during the quarter you are applying to work as a TLC peer tutor.
Please submit your application to TLC@fhda.edu or in person at the TLC front desk. All application materials should be submitted as separate Word or PDF files. Address your application to Josh Pelletier.
If you have additional questions, please contact
Acting Director, The Teaching & Learning Center (TLC)
Winter 2019 Hours (1/7/2019 - 3/29/2019)
Monday – Thursday 7:45AM to 7PM
Friday 7:45AM to 4PM
Teaching & Learning Center
Building 3600 (behind the Library)