School Year SLI Internships
SLI is looking to grow work-based learning opportunities for students during the school year. Realizing that students are often taking a full time course load and balancing jobs and other responsibilities, these are not the focus of SLI's internship portfolio.
Keep an eye out for opportunities to come for the 2021-22 school year.
SLI - USRA STEM Engagement at NASA Ames Research Center
Opportunity for School Year 2021 - 2022
SLI is partnering with Universities Space Research Association (USRA), an independent, nonprofit research corporation, to offer paid internships at NASA Ames Research Center during the 2021-22 school year.
The internships range in technical areas of Aeronautics, Data Science, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence and Environmental Analytics.
The internships are open to Foothill College students and offered part time during the school year and full time during the summer. The students will work alongside USRA and NASA PI (s) at the NASA Ames Research Center. The aim is to encourage students, specially from underrepresented groups, to continue their education in Science, Technology, Education and Math (STEM) fields within government, academia, or industry.
Students will receive a scholarship from SLI and a stipend from USRA for their participation in this internship.
- U.S. citizens only (this may change in the future - but for the fall, this is the requirement).
- Have taken 12 units in STEM courses previously and are primarily a Foothill College student.
- Enrolled in 6 units for fall at Foothill.
- Priority given to students who demonstrate financial need, have not had previous internship, are aiming to transfer, and are first time degree earners.
- Average 20 hours a week, online internship
- Sign up for ITRN course (paid for by SLI)
- Participate in internship and ongoing support provided by SLI.
How to Apply
- Log into MyPortal.
- Click on the Handshake tile to access the Handshake app.
- Search for "USRA" to find this opportunity.
- Review the posting and then submit your application which includes a cover letter and resume through the Apply button.
Deadline to apply: June 30, 2021
Foothill-Stanford Bioresearch Internship (new in 2021)
SLI has partnered with biology labs at Stanford University to launch this pilot internship program in winter 2021.
Students are partnered with a graduate or post-doctoral mentor and commit five hours a week in a virtual internship, working on independent projects under the guidance of the mentor.
Students receive a $500 stipend and also attend biweekly cohort seminars to learn about topics such as applying to graduate school and careers in biology/ science.
How to Apply
- Applications for winter 2021 have closed.
- Come back to see if this program will be continued in the future after this pilot.
STEM Resources & Opportunities
Sign up to receive emails about internships, scholarships, conferences, and other opportunities for students in STEM.