Science Learning Institute
Mission and Vision
The Science Learning Institute’s mission is to advance equity in STEM at Foothill College by supporting students from underrepresented groups in their academic and career pathways in STEM and through initiatives working with faculty, within the institution, and in partnership in the community.
Research shows that women, people with disabilities, and people from historically marginalized communities are underrepresented in STEM courses, STEM majors, and STEM-related companies.
SLI's vision includes the following outcomes:
- The number of STEM students from underrepresented groups at Foothill College increases through the programming of SLI.
- STEM students leave Foothill College prepared for college and the workforce with the skills and experiences they have gained.
- Local companies and institutions look to Foothill College when recruiting students with a STEM background.
SLI -hosted events - SLI plans and collaborates on events for the Foothill campus to elevate issues of diversity and equity in STEM:
- STEM Equity Seminars for Owl — join us for talks on equity, diversity, and inclusion issues in the STEM field, open to all interested students, faculty, and staff.
- Diversity in STEM- targeted at students, these are interactive presentations focused on issues of diversity and equity in STEM, from the voices of Foothill College alumni who are now in the workforce.
STEM Scholarships — a listing of both Foothill sponsored and external scholarships available to STEM students
External Internships - tips and resources for external STEM internships available to community college STEM students.
STEM Outreach Events - workshops and sessions for students in STEM disciplines to learn and build community.
STEM Resources & Opportunities
Sign up to receive emails about internships, scholarships, conferences, and other opportunities for students in STEM.