students against wall


Admission Requirements

Foothill has an open-door admission policy for all high-school graduates and non-graduates who are 18 years of age or older.

Dual Enrollment for High School Students

Students enrolled in the freshman through senior years of high school may attend Foothill College with written parental and school permission. Parental and school permission forms are available online.

Special Admission Programs

Special admission procedures, such as additional testing and application forms, are required for admission to several career programs. Some of these programs begin only in the fall quarter. You must complete all special admission requirements in the preceding spring quarter.

Residency Requirements

Eligible Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) Holders

Education Code section 68075.6 grants an immediate nonresident tuition fee exemption to eligible Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) holders and refugee students who settled in California upon entering into the United States.

This exemption is granted for one year from the date the student settled in California upon entering the United States.

The exemption applies to the following:

  • Iragi citizens or nationals (and their spouses and children) who were employed by or on behalf of the United States Government in Iraq  (Pub.L. No. 110-181 § 1244)
  • Afghan and Iraqi translators (and their spouses and children) who worked directly with the United States Armed Forces (Pub.L. No. 109-163, § 1059)
  • Afghanistan nationals who were employed by or on behalf of the U.S. government or in the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in  Afghanistan (Pub.L. No. 111-8, § 602)
  • Refugee students admitted to the United States under Section 1157 of Title 8 of the United States Code

Out-of-State Students

If you are an out-of-state student, you are considered a non-resident until you have satisfied current California residency requirements. This rule applies to visa-holding non-citizens eligible to establish residency. Non-resident tuition is required of all students in this category.

Students who currently reside in any of the following states may not be able to enroll in courses at Foothill College. Please contact A&R (650) 949-7325 or use the A&R Help Form to determine if you will be allowed to enroll.

States with enrollment exceptions

  • Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Georgia
  • Maryland
  • Michigan

  • Minnesota
  • New Mexico
  • New York
  • Washington DC

International Students with F-1 Visa

If you are an international student with an F-1 Visa, you may be eligible for admission only if you have completed the required special admission procedures. To request an International Student Application Packet, call the International Student Admissions Office  at 650.949.7293.

Applying for Admission

If you are a new or former student, you must submit the Application for Admission by the quarterly deadline. We encourage you to complete the application, complete the assessment process and submit necessary transcripts as early as possible.

Students transferring to Foothill from another college are advised to submit transcripts from high schools and colleges previously attended.

If you plan to receive veterans benefits, apply for financial aid or earn a degree or certificate, you must submit transcripts. Request previous institutions to send your transcripts directly to the Foothill College Admissions & Records Office, 12345 El Monte Road, Los Altos Hills, CA, 94022-4599.

International students who hold F1 visas may attend Foothill College and should access application information and additional resources at the International Students Webpage.

Foothill College uses the Open CCC Apply California Community College Statewide Application. View the Foothill College Open CCC Apply application. For more information about the Open CCC Apply application please contact the Admissions Office at 650-949-7325.

If you are an AB540 student, please access the AB540 registration steps, forms and guidelines for using the application.

Apply Online Now!
Application for Admission

Enrolled Student Classification

You are a matriculated student if you have filed an Application for Admission, enrolled at Foothill and have done one of the following:

  • Submitted high school and other transcripts;
  • Met with a Foothill College counselor, counseling associate or career advisor to examine educational opportunities;
  • Announced an intention to study for a degree or certificate;
  • Begun a series of introductory, general education or special courses; or
  • Begun a series of special courses leading to a certificate or degree.

Freshmen: Students with fewer than 45 units of college credit.
Sophomores: Students who have completed 45 or more units of college credit and have not received a degree.
Full-Time Students: Students carrying 12 or more units.

Open Course Policy

It is the policy of the Foothill-De Anza Community College District that, unless specifically exempted by statute or regulation, every course, course section or class reported for state aid, wherever offered and maintained by the district, shall be fully open to enrollment and participation by any person who has been admitted to the college and who meets such prerequisites as may be established pursuant to regulations contained in California Administrative Code Title V commencing with Section 55200.

Exceptions to Admissions & Registration Policies

To request an exception to a published policy, you must file an exception petition (PDF). This form is available online or in the Admissions & Records Offices on either campus.

ph default text

Need Help?
Contact Us!

Admissions and Records


A & R Help Form

Student Services Building 8100, Room 8101

Got Questions?

Can't find an answer on our website?

TEXT your admissions or registration question/concern to Foothill's ASK ME! service. 


Text questions will be answered during regular business hours.


A & R Office Hours

Regular Hours
Mon. & Tues. 8 a.m.–6 p.m.
Wed. & Thurs. 8 a.m.–5 p.m.
Fri. 8 a.m.–3 p.m.

Mon.–Tues. 10 a.m.–6:30 p.m.
Wed.–Thurs. 10 a.m.–6 p.m.
Fri. 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m.

Holiday & Exceptions
Main Campus:
Closed Monday, Jan. 20 Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday
Closed Thursday, Feb. 6 Student Services Meeting (Campus Open)
Closed Feb. 14-Feb. 17 Presidents Day Weekend