Steps to Register for Classes
Pass/No Pass Guidelines
How to Request a Pass/No Pass Grade
During registration, you may choose the Pass/No Pass option online inside MyPortal.
- Log in to MyPortal.
- Click Apps from the left menu.
- Select Student Registration (under Students)
- Click on the "Add or Drop Classes" link to get to the class term.
- Find the class in your Current Schedule and select Pass/No Pass under the Grade Mode column.
Note: Once you select and submit the request for Pass/No Pass grading, this action cannot be reversed.
After Classes Begin
- After classes begin, you will need to access, complete and sign the A&R online Pass/No Pass form by the request deadline.
- By signing the online form, it will be automatically emailed to the Admissions and Records office for processing.
Note: You must confirm the signature with your email before it will be sent.
- You may not switch to Pass/No Pass after the fourth week of a standard 12-week course, or after a third of a course that is less than 12 weeks.
- See academic calendar for specific dates for each term.
Rules for Pass/No Pass Grading
Foothill offers Pass/No Pass grading for a number of courses, as authorized by California law (Title V) and the Foothill-De Anza Community College District board of trustees.
- Some courses are designated in the catalog as Pass/No Pass (P/NP) courses. In those courses, a letter grade is not available. Among these classes are those with a “single satisfactory standard of performance for which unit credit is assigned.” (See Section 51302 of Title V.)
- For other courses, you may select the Pass/No Pass option instead of a letter grade. However, you must select that option no later than the fourth week of a standard 12-week course, or no later than one third into the duration of a course that is less than 12 weeks.
- Once you select the Pass/No Pass option, the resulting grade is final.
- You may not apply more than 30 units of credit earned with a Pass (P) grade toward an Associate iin Arts degree.
- In most cases, you may not apply a Pass (P) grade toward your major requirements, unless your major division lists a Pass/No Pass (P/NP) course on its curriculum sheets.
- Pass/No Pass grades are not used to calculate grade point averages. However, a grade of No Pass (NP) can be considered in probation and dismissal procedures. You can learn more by reading the Policy on Standards for Probation.
Admissions and Records
Student Services Building 8100, Room 8101
A & R Office Hours
MAIN CAMPUSMONDAY–THURSDAY 9 a.m.–5 p.m.
FRIDAY 9 a.m.–Noon
SUNNYVALE CENTERCLOSED Please contact Main Campus for virtual services.
HOLIDAYS & EXCEPTIONSCLOSED Nov 11 Veterans Day
Academic Dates & Deadlines