Due to declining enrollment, the Foothill-De Anza Community College District (FHDA) began the 2017-18 FY with a structural operating deficit of $10.3 million. To counter this, the district has identified a budget reduction strategy that includes:
- -$2M for 17/18, -$3M for 18/19, and -$5.3M for 19/20.
- Distribution of reductions is 35% Foothill, 50% De Anza, and 15% District.
- Foothill’s share of the reduction is $5.355M (original reduction was $3.5M -- please see below presentations).
- Reduction amounts are subject to change
The college is soliciting feedback at various governance meetings and via this form. The district and the college are also holding town hall meetings to discuss the budget and upcoming reductions. The budget estimates were based on enrollment projections and financial conditions that are constantly shifting and are subject to change.
July 1, 2018: Budget Reductions for Years 1 & 2 (total of $1,750,000) must be identified.
December 31, 2018: - *Additional $1,750,000 for Year 3 reductions shall be identified.
July 1, 2019: Year 1, 2 & 3 cuts must be fully implemented.
*Based on FTES figures and financial outlook.
Participatory Governance and Town Halls
Round 1: Budget Reduction & Proposed Percentage Cuts in Each Division
- September 14, 2017: Governance Summit —> present information about budget reductions percentages
- November 8, 2017: Town hall at main campus (Hearthside)
- November 30, 2017 (Sunnyvale) / December 5, 2017 (Hearthside): District town halls
- November 1 & 15, 2017: PaRC regarding Proposed % Cuts in each Division
Round 2: Guiding Principles & Discussion by Divisions on Possible Budget Cuts
- January 22, 2018: Cabinet retreat
- January 25, 2018: Admin Council retreat
- January 31, 2018: PaRC
Round 3: Finalize list of reductions for Year 1 & 2
- March 21: PaRC
- March 22: Cabinet retreat
- April 18: PaRC
- April 19: Town Hall (See PowerPoint Presentation)
- April 25: PaRC (See Updated PowerPoint Presentation)
We value your feedback. Please use this form for suggestions or comments related to Foothill's ongoing budget reduction conversations.
Opening Day 2017 Presentation (43 MB, 49 pages)
Questions?Please Contact Us!
Thuy Thi Nguyen, J.D. President
Administration Building 1900