Family Engagement Institute
All children, youth and families in historically marginalized communities* actualize their potential, talents and voice through equitable access to educational opportunities, tools and responsive systems of support critical to success and well-being.
*Inclusive of BIPOC, immigrants and our undocumented community, LGBTQIA+ persons, etc.
FEI provides opportunities and inspires aspirations that promote college identity, equitable access and retention for marginalized and underserved students and families. The partnership with Foothill College is unique and supports a multigenerational pathway to college with family and community as foundational to educational equity and student success.
- A collaborative, strength-based approach to learning
- Dual capacity family and community engagement for effective family and educator partnerships
- The development of college-going identities and multigenerational pathways to college in order to maximize the student experience
- Shared responsibility through the cultivation of leadership, advocacy and trusted relationships
- College-level courses for youth and families
- Professional development opportunities for educators and families working together
- Youth engagement opportunities, internships and mentorships that promote social connection and leadership
Capacity Building Areas
- School and College Readiness
- Developmental and Cultural Responsiveness
- Lifelong Learning
- 21st Century Learning and Global Citizenship
- Family Strengths and Community Cultural Wealth
- Communication and Connection
- Leadership and Advocacy
- Build knowledge, awareness, access and tools
- Develop growth mindsets and intentional equity-minded practices
- Deepen agency to leverage advocacy and catalyze action
- A common language and shared vision of equity that results in justice for all
- Determination and space for children, youth, families and communities to work together to ensure an inclusive, diverse and thriving society