subpage flowers image

Foothill College Early College Promise

Early College Promise banner


Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I know if I qualify for Foothill College's Early College Promise?

You are eligible to participate if you are an AVID student at Mountain View, Los Altos, Alta Vista* or Palo Alto High Schools and will be a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior starting fall 2017. In addition, you must obtain special permission from your high school administrator/counselor and parent/guardian prior to attending courses.

2. How do I participate in the FCECP?
AVID* students interested in the FCECP need to follow these steps to participate in the program:

  • Talk to your counselor about what courses you should take that align with your educational goals.
  • Attend an FCECP Family Orientation.
  •  Complete the online Foothill College application for admission.
  • Complete the Special Admit & High School Dual Enrollment form.
  • Prior to taking any English or Math courses, you must make an appointment to take any assessment tests.
  • Attach your unofficial high school transcripts to your Special Admit & High School Dual Enrollment form.
  • Submit your unofficial high school transcripts and Special Admit & High School Dual Enrollment form in-person to our Admissions & Records Office, located in Room 8101 or via fax to (650) 949-7084 or e-mail to Allow up to 48 hours for processing of documents.
  • Register for fall courses online or in person.
  • Once you register for courses, a book lending voucher will be e-mailed to you. Take your emailed textbook lending voucher to the Foothill College Bookstore to pick up your course textbook.

3. What is the AVID program at Mountain View, Los Altos and Alta Vista High Schools?
AVID is an internationally recognized program designed to prepare high school students for success in four-year colleges and universities that is offered at Mountain View and Los Altos high schools in the MVLAHSD. Alta Vista High School does not have an AVID program. Alta Vista High School students are also eligible for the FCECP regardless of their participation in AVID.

4. What is the AVID program at Palo Alto High School?
AVID at Palo Alto High School is an in-school academic support program for grades 9-12 that prepares students for college eligibility and success. The AVID elective targets students in the academic middle who have the desire to go to college and the willingness to work hard. These are students who are capable of completing rigorous curriculum but may be falling short of their potential.

5. Is there an AVID program at Gunn High School?
No, there is not an AVID program at Gunn High School.

6. Are all Foothill College courses CSU/UC transferable?
No. Not all Foothill College courses are transferrable. It is important you meet and discuss what courses you would like to enroll in with a Foothill College counselor to ensure they meet your college goals and are transferrable to a 4-year university.

7. Will I get a college transcript after completing my courses at Foothill?
All Foothill College grades earned from courses taken will appear on a student's permanent academic record and must be reported to any other college or university to which a student applies.

8. If I am taking courses at Foothill College while I am in high school, can my parents access my records?
College student records are confidential and protected by the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and are not available to parents (regardless of student's age).

9. If I take Foothill College courses while I am in high school, do I become a transfer student when I apply to a 4-year university?
No. You would still apply to a 4-year university as an entering freshman. Taking courses that are CSU/UC transferrable ensures that you do not need to repeat these courses at a CSU/UC. To make certain any class you take at Foothill College meets this transfer criteria, meet with a Foothill College counselor.

10. If I have an IEP at my high school can I get the same accommodations at Foothill?
Your IEP only applies to your high school courses. The Foothill College Disability Resource Center counselors can assist you with any needed accommodations with taking Foothill College courses.

11. What are the benefits of participating in the FCECP at Foothill?
FCECP students get a jump start on college by taking college courses early on. Students may complete transferrable college credits. FCECP students also receive:

  • Waiver of all college fees
  • Class textbooks
  • Access to in-person and online tutoring for their college courses
  • Foothill College Student Body Card
  • SmartPass Clipper Card for free transportation in Santa Clara County on VTA busses and light rail systems during the quarter you are enrolled in

12. Can I meet with a Foothill College counselor?
Yes. Once you have completed an application to Foothill College and have received your College-wide Identification Number, (CWID) you can make an appointment with a counselor.

13. What is Counseling 5 and why should I take it?
Counseling 5 is a 1.5-unit class that serves as an orientation to Foothill's academic policies, resources, programs and services. It also provides an introduction to California systems of higher education and prepares students for success in their college experience.

14. How does the textbook lending program work?
FCECP students will receive a voucher for a textbook via e-mail for their college course(s). This is redeemed at the Foothill College Bookstore on the main campus. Students are loaned their class textbook(s) for the quarter and then must return the textbook(s) to the Bookstore within 1 week of the end of the quarter.

15. How do I access tutoring for my Foothill class?
Free in-person and online tutoring is available through the Foothill Language Arts Teaching and Learning Center, the STEM Success Center, and NetTutor, as well as through OpenStudy which is an online learning community.

16. If I have challenges with transportation getting to and from Foothill College is any help available?
Yes. Foothill College can provide you with a free SmartPass which allows you to use VTA buses and light rail systems in Santa Clara County at no cost. Foothill College has bus service daily to main campus and a light rail service with two stops near the new Foothill College Sunnyvale Center:




 La Avenida & Shoreline to Foothill College - Weekdays & Saturdays
 San Antonio & Lyell to La Avenida & Shoreline - Sunday


Foothill College to Downtown Mountain View


Interactive Light Rail Map

17. Am I eligible to participate in this program if I am undocumented?
Yes, all AVID students including undocumented students are welcome to participate in the FCECP.

18. What happens if I need to drop out of the course(s) I am enrolled in?
Life happens and sometimes students need to drop or withdraw from their course(s). There are several ways to drop a course during the "drop period". Log in to MyPortal and review important drop deadlines by clicking on "View Your Class Schedule". If you drop your class during the first 2 weeks of courses, the "drop period", there will be no record of you enrolling on your transcripts. If you drop your course after the "drop period" a "W" for "Withdrawn" will appear on your Foothill College transcripts.

19. How many courses can I take in one quarter?
AVID students can register in up to 11.5 units in one quarter for free. Please talk to your AVID instructor, high school counselor, or a Foothill College counselor before registering for courses.

20. How different are Foothill courses from AP courses offered at my high school?

Characteristic Dual Enrollment AP


An opportunity for current high school students to enroll in college courses and gain college credit upon successful completion of the course.

High school class that requires a test at the end of the course for high school and college credit (not guaranteed)


Instantly awarded permanent college credit on an official college transcript. In many cases, credit is transferable to CSUs and/or UCs.

Student must receive score of 3-5 to receive college credit.



Student must pay a fee to take the AP exam.


Get a head start on your college transcript.

Makes your high school transcript look more challenging.


Explore a variety of college academic and career courses.

Limited offering at the high school.

21. Can I take courses at the Foothill College Sunnyvale Center?
Yes. Students participating in the FCECP can take courses at any of the Foothill College campuses. View a list of current courses offered at the Sunnyvale Center


*Alta Vista High School students are eligible for the FCECP regardless of their participation in AVID.

placeholder image

Need help in Spanish?

Contact Magali Molina Ochoa




Check out our FCECP Flyer