Careers in Child Development and Education
Looking for a job?
Check out our Child Development specifc Google Group for available local positions.
Register with Handshake (an app in MyPortal) for more career and internship opportunities as well! You can sign up for an .edu address using the Mail app in MyPortal.
See our Career Services for more resources to help you land a job.
Looking for employees?
Post available local positions on our Child Development-specific informal Google Group. This group reaches past and current students.
Also, register with Handshake for more career and internship posting opportunities as well!
Lastly, see our Career Services for information on the next Job Fair, we are holding them virtually during the pandemic.
There are many career and employment opportunities working with children in a variety of settings. Our students have found career opportunities in many areas including:
- Teachers and directors in child development programs for infants, toddlers, preschoolers and school-age children
- Family child care educator
- Elementary school teacher
- Parent educator
- Childbirth educator
- Resource specialists in schools
- Nanny or Au Pair
- Classroom instructional aide
- Social work postions
- Teacher of children with disabilities, learning or behavioral challenges
- Child development instructor
The California Department of Education, Career Pathways, Child Development & Education has even more information on the numerous career opportunities related to children and education
Educational Occupation Profiles in Santa Clara County
- Preschool Teachers, Except Special Education
- Child Care Workers
- Education Administrators, Preschool and Child Care
- Teacher Assistants
- Special Education Teachers, Elementary School
- Instructional Coordinators
- Elementary School Teachers
Career & Employment Opportunities
Careers in Early Childhood Education
Careers in Elementary Education
- California School-Age Consortium
- Teach For America
- Check with your local Office of Education
Careers in Special Education
Jobs in Afterschool Programs
Jobs Tutoring Children
Nanny and Au Pair Jobs
Jobs in Group Homes
Becoming a Foster Parent
Earn an Assistant Teacher Permit in One YearFoothill College is a partner in the Teacher Pipeline Program, with locations in Redwood City and Menlo Park. Fall classes held Mondays and Wednesdays 6-7:50 p.m. and Saturdays 9 a.m.-12:50 p.m. LEARN MORE
We're Here to Help!
Child Development Department
Sunnyvale Campus, 211Q