2022 Symposium Award Recipients Announced
May 25, 2022
Thank you to our presenters, mentors, facilitators, administrators, FHDA Foundation, students, and community attendees for making our 5th annual Research and Service Leadership Symposium an amazing event this year!
More than 150 presenters with 100 presentations participated in the all-day event held virtually via Zoom with some on-campus activities. RSLS is a massive year-long undertaking, organized this year by by coordinators Allison Herman and Mike McCusker, with contributions from Laura Gamez and Josh Pelletier. The breadth of topics and the number of presentations is a testament to the amazing work of our students and their faculty and staff mentors.
In addition to the virtual presentations, Tom Gough's Theatre students performed a fun improv showcase in the Hearthside, and Foothill Beats drummers performed in the Library Quad at 6:30 p.m. before the evening awards Zoom ceremony.
Special acknowledgment was given to a number of stand-out individuals and groups who were selected by RSLS judges and symposium attendees, include five Judges' Awards, five Viewers' Choice Awards, and 21 Judges' Special Recognition for finalists.
The Judges' Awards recipients were selected for excellence in the following:
- Madhav Varshney for “Exploring the Digital Humanities: Augmenting Literary Analysis with Natural Language Processing”
- Allison Kuan, Cameron Lau & Team for “Building Chemistry Bridges”
- Alekos Kapur & Saintra Thai for “Confronting Anthropology’s Dark Past: Native American Osteo-Reparation in Bay Area Higher Education Institutions”
- Meli Renteria & Anna Jackson for “Celebrating a Decade of Medical & Dental Brigades”
- Katherine Pham-Huynh for "Desolate Dreamstate"
View all award recipients and their presentation topics, along with the Art Gallery 2022 and program session details for presentation descriptions and presenter bios.
For an overview of the year-long symposium planning, visit the visit the RSLS website.