Female speaking to another female

Title IX - Stop Sexual Violence

Report an Incident

Why It's Important to File a Report

If you experience sexual violence, you are not to blame.

It does not matter when it happened, where it happened, or what the circumstances surrounding the incident were. It is not your fault.

By coming forward and reporting your experience, you can make a big difference. You can help make our campus and community safer for everyone, and prevent the person who hurt you from harming anyone else.

If you experience sexual violence, you can and should make a report.  There are several avenues you can take to report a sexual violence incident.

If you need help sorting through your reporting options or getting the process started, you can contact either

Reporting an Incident to the Title IX Coordinator

Under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, sexual violence is considered a form of sexual discrimination. You may file a Title IX sex discrimination complaint with the Title IX Coordinator.

Foothill College Title IX Coordinator

Laureen Balducci, Associate Vice-President of Student Services
Office: Room 8104
Phone: 650.949.7823
Email: balduccilaureen@foothill.edu

Reporting an Incident to the Dean of Student Affairs and Activities

Another option is to make a report to the Foothill Dean of Student Affairs and Activities Office, located in Room 2002 on the main level of the Campus Center, Building 2000.  You can call the office at 650.949.7241.

  • While this will not initiate criminal action, if the accused is a student, it will open the door to charges filed through the campus student conduct system.
  • This is an administrative process that could result in disciplinary action up to and including expulsion from Foothill if the accused student is found responsible.
  • Other actions that can be taken include no-contact orders so you do not have to face the accused.
  • Other avenues may be available if the accused is not a student.

Finally, you can file a report but decline to pursue an investigation, if that's what you wish.  Ultimately, the decision is yours to make.

Reporting an Incident to the Police

If you experience sexual violence, you may make a report with the Foothill-De Anza Police Department.  Their Foothill office is located in Room 2103 on the lower level of the Campus Center. You can call 408.924.8000 or by dialing 911 from any campus phone.

  • If you choose to, you should report your experience to the police as soon as possible after the incident.
  • Police are more likely to be able to get the evidence they need to make an arrest if you talk to them about what happened while the event is still clear in your memory.
  • The police will interview you about what happened and ask you to have your doctor or another health professional collect medical evidence of the assault.

Reporting the incident to the police does not mean you have to seek prosecution. However, the police will be able to take action to keep other students and community members safe.

Reporting an Incident to the Office of Civil Rights

If you experience sexual violence, you may make a report with the Office of Civil Rights

Impartial Investigations and Sanctions

Foothill College will provide a prompt, fair, and impartial investigation and resolution for every sexual misconduct complaint.

When there is a finding of responsibility for sexual misconduct, Foothill will issue appropriate sanctions and remedial measures.  As needed, remedial measures may be put in place while investigations into a Title IX complaint are being completed.