TechCore Summer Institute
The TechCore Summer Institute is a free four-week program for incoming Foothill College students looking to earn a STEM degree. Through the summer institute, you will:
- Gain exposure to and skills in computer science as a tool for social impact.
- Build confidence in math in preparation for precalculus in the fall.
- Collaborate with others on social impact project simulations.
- Connect with other students who are interested in STEM fields and entering Foothill in the fall.
- Get ready and support for starting Foothill College in the fall.
- interested in pursuing a STEM major(especially computer science, engineering, physics, or math)
- first time enrolling at Foothill College with no previous degrees
- live locally to Foothill College
- continuing in the PRE-STEM learning community (see below) in fall 2021
- Monday, August 9 – Friday, September 3, 2021
- Mondays through Thursdays, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Fridays, 10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- 45 minute lunch break at Noon
- Computer science, using group project work, focusing on addressing a social issue.
- Math skills and confidence building workshops.
- Technology as a tool for social impact
- Guest speakers, interactive discussions, online engagement
- On Zoom, online
- There is a small chance we may gather in person toward the end of the summer.
- Research shows that students from all backgrounds enter STEM fields in comparable numbers
- BUT not everyone ends up majoring in STEM.
- Learning communities and summer prep programs like this have been shown to increase PERSISTENCE and RETENTION in STEM.
- We want to support YOU to earn your STEM degree!
How do I apply?
- Foothill College application: You have to be a new incoming Foothill College student, so you should first have filled out the Foothill College application for the fall.
- PRE-STEM application: The summer institute is a precursor to PRE-STEM, a school year program at Foothill focused on preparation and persistence in STEM disciplines. The TechCore Summer Institute is a program for students who have committed to participating in PRE-STEM.
If you have questions, please contact SLI@foothill.edu.
How do I know if the program is for me?
Consider the following to decide if TechCore Summer Institute is right for you!
- Are you starting Foothill College in the fall as a STEM major and looking for a community of support?
- Are you a graduating high school student or equivalency earner interested in science, technology, computer science, math, or engineering (STEM) but haven’t had the opportunity to explore?
- Are you worried about being prepared for college and want to get a head start with math and study skills? If yes, this program is for you!
- No prior experience and skills necessary.
- Course materials will be provided, including laptops and Wi-Fi hotspots on loan.
Note: If you have already taken computer science courses, taken AP calculus, or participated in STEM programs extensively, this program may not be a good fit for you.
How can I find out more?
There are a few ways to find out more:
- Saturday, May 8th - Day on the Hill. We will be present to talk about this program and PRE-STEM.
- Tuesday, 5/18/21, from 3- 4pm info session. Sign up for Zoom link.
- Wednesday, 6/16/21, from 5-6pm info session. Sign up for Zoom link.
- Set up an appointment with the SLI Director.
- Short video overview about the program (coming soon).
What will I gain from this program?
This program will be on Zoom and each session during the day will be between 1 – 2 hours.
The morning session will be spent gaining computer science skills and working on a social impact group project with the support of Foothill College student mentors.
The afternoon will be a combination of a math skills workshop, a session on using technology as a tool for social change, and a workshop with Foothill Counselors on preparing for college.
Participation in this program requires attendance to the whole day session.
Students who complete the program will receive a certificate of participation.
Connection to PRE-STEM
The TechCore Summer Institute is a program component of PRE-STEM. All PRE-STEM students are invited to join in the TechCore Summer Institute to get ready to start Foothill in the fall.