Research & Service Leadership Symposium
Enroll in Independent Study
If you would like to earn an additional 1 unit of course credit per quarter while completing your RSLS project and working on your presentation, you can enroll in an optional Independent Study course.
- ENGL 70R (1st quarter of independent study)
- ENGL 71R (2nd quarter of independent study)
- ENGL 72R (3rd quarter of independent study)
Though these courses are currently part of the English department, you can receive credit for projects in any discipline.
View the Course Syllabus
Take a look at the course syllabus to determine if RSLS Independent Study is right for you: Syllabus: ENGL 70, 71, 72R Independent Study for RSLS .
Requirements for Completion
Your independent study for the RSLS will earn you a letter grade in the course based upon ongoing participation and successful completion of the following:
- Identify a mentor who will work with you during the quarter. You must have a mentor to begin Independent Study. (See tips on finding a mentor.)
- Set up a regular meeting schedule with your mentor that works for you.
- Complete 36 hours of independent work (3 hours/week)
- Attend at least 1 RSLS workshop (these count toward your hours).
- Maintain a log of your hours and activities completed, and have your mentor sign your worksheet. (Copy this RSLS Independent Study Hours Worksheet.)
- Present your project at the RSLS in May!
- Submit your hours and signed worksheet the last day of the quarter for your official grade.
Request Your Add Code to Join!
Add codes will be available at the start of each quarter. Contact RSLS Coordinator, Allison Herman, to get more details or to receive an add code to join: RSLS@fhda.edu.