Research & Service Leadership Symposium
2022 RSL Symposium was a Success . . . Thanks to all of you!
Thank you presenters, mentors, facilitators, administrators, FHDA Foundation, students, and community attendees for making our 5th annual RSLS an amazing event! If you are interested in participating in our 2022-2023 year, check out our inspiring video of past events.
Review the May 19, 2022 event!
More than 150 presenters, 100 presentations
This year the Research and Service Leadership Symposium was held virtually via Zoom with some on-campus activities. While the video recordings are not available, please review the program for a listing of the participants and projects, and get inspired for next year.
View Projects, Presenter Bios, & Art Gallery
Award Winners & Special RSLS Recognition
Presentation Video Gallery
View 2022 Presentation Videos
RSLS Program Quick Overview
9:30-10 a.m. Opening Ceremony with Keynote Speaker Jamila Wignot, Producer & Director,
Jamila Wignot is an award-winning Brooklyn-based filmmaker. Her body of work includes AILEY (Sundance '21); the Peabody, Emmy, and NAACP award-winning THE AFRICAN AMERICANS: MANY RIVERS TO CROSS; TOWN HALL a feature-length co-production with ITVS about the Tea Party movement; and for AMERICAN EXPERIENCE the Peabody Award-winning "Triangle Fire" and Emmy-nominated "Walt Whitman". Wignot’s producing credits include Sierra Pettengill’s RIOTSVILLE, USA (Sundance '22); “Hands On,” for The New York Times FX/Hulu series The Weekly; W. Kamau Bell’s directorial debut BRING THE PAIN: THE DOCUMENTARY; and the narrative A STRAY (SXSW ’16) by Sundance Award-winning director Musa Syeed.
10 a.m.–6 p.m. Zoom Presentations
- Preview the Official RSLS 2022 Program Schedule for a complete program with listed presentations!
- You can attend presentation sessions on the hour throughout the day, beginning at 10 a.m.
- We invite you to sample individual projects, explore themes, or absorb the event from morning to evening.
- While we encourage you to attend multiple sessions and see the full range of research, service, and creative arts projects that participants have developed, the RSLS is an open event.
- You may "room hop" to see individual presentations. We invite you to make room in your schedule for the full day, or just an hour.
9:30 a.m.–7 p.m. On-Campus Activities
- 9:30 a.m.–5 p.m.: Livestream opening ceremony & presentations [Library]
- 12:30–1:30 p.m.: A Parliment of Owls Improv Showcase [Hearthside]
- 6:30–7 p.m.: Foothill Beats Drumming [Library Quad]
7-8 p.m. Awards Ceremony
- Celebrate the full day of presentations with our evening Awards Ceremony, during which we will honor 5 of the most impactful project presentations with the RSLS Judges' Award.
We will also recognize 5 additional projects selected by you, the audience, with a </spViewers' Choice Awards.
You can vote for the presentations that "speak" to you
Please contact us!
Allison Herman, RSL Symposium Coordinator
Business Innovation Challenge 2022—Workshops Start April 27