English Proficiency Requirements
In order to successfully participate and complete college level classes, you must be able to listen, read, speak and write in the English language. The English proficiency test score is a requirement for admission to the College.
Proof of Proficiency
The most common examinations accepted as proof of English proficiency from international students are TOEFL and IELTS, but below is a complete list of exams accepted by the international admissions office.
Note: Results more than two years old will not be accepted.
TOEFL: Minimum requirement of 61 iBT or 46 PdT (Paper-delivered Test)
- Foothill's TOEFL code is 4315.
iTEP : Minimum requirement of Level 4
- Foothill College is an official iTEP Test Center. Make an appointment to take iTEP at Foothill
IELTS: Minimum requirement of 6.0
Step Eiken: Minimum requirement of 2A
Pearsons PTE Academic: Minimum requirement of 45
Cambridge English: Minimum requirement of 175 on Advanced exam
Duolingo: Minimum requirement of 95 (50 old version)
GTEC CBT: Minimum requirement of 1100
TOEFL and IELTS Waivers
English proficiency can be demonstrated by meeting one of the following conditions instead of demonstrating a TOEFL or an IELTS score.
We do not guarantee waivers and must review the application in order to make a decision.
- Earned a high school diploma, or studied for a minimum of 3 years and attained a grade of "C" or better in English in one of the English speaking countries (U.S., U.K., Canada and Australia).
- Earned a high school diploma in an International School or similar, where English is the primary language of instruction. You must submit school transcripts and other documentation, such as a letter on school's letterhead, stating that English was the primary language of instruction.
- Completed all years of study in a school in Singapore with grades of “C” or higher.
- Completed all years of study in a school in Scandinavian countries and received grades of "VG" or "MVG" in English A and B.
- Completed college-level English classes at a U.S. college or university with grades of “C” or higher. You must provide an official transcript to receive this waiver.
- Received a degree from a college or university in the U.S., the U.K., Canada or Australia. You must provide an official transcript to receive this waiver.
Foothill College has relationshiops with various language schools such as ELS, Education First, Kaplan and others. Students who are interested in attending Foothill College but did not meet the English proficiency score can choose to attend one of our partner English language schools. Once the proper level is achieved, the student can transfer to Foothill College and receive full admission.
The list of partner language schools are below are can also be printed here
Students who attend a language school will receive a Conditional Letter of Admission.
|Language School||Program Level|
|ESL for Academic English (EAP) or Advanced Level|
|Upper Intermediate B2|
|Education First (EF) International Language Center||Level B2-3|
|ELS Language Center||Level 109|
|Embassy English||Advanced Level|
|Global Village English Centres||Level 6|
|Golden Gate Language School||Level 12|
|ILSC Education Group||Academic Preparation Level 14|
|Kaplan International||Advanced Level|
|Language Pacifica||Level 5|
|Mission College - Institute for International Studies||Level D Link Class|
|New York Film Academy - ESL School||Level 6|
|San Jose State University - International Gateways||Level 600|
|Stafford House||Level 5|
|USC International Academy||Level 4|
|UCLA American Language Center||Level 105|
We're Here to Help!
International Student Programs Office
Administration Building 1900 Room 1933
Overseas Applicant Deadlines