Financial Aid Programs
Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)
We still have FWS job openings for 2017-18.
Get a Job on or Near Campus!
The Federal Work-Study Program provides federally-funded part-time jobs for students with financial need. Most FWS jobs are on the Foothill Main Campus. We also have a few community service positions at nearby elementary and high school campuses (tutoring) and a position or two at our Sunnyvale Campus.
Benefits of a FWS Job
- You need to be enrolled in (and earn) only 6.0 or more units each quarter to be eligible for work.
- We have a listing of current FWS job openings—and supervisors eager to hire.
- Income earned in a FWS job will not affect your future financial aid eligibility. (While the income you earn is taxable and should be listed as "income earned from work" on the FAFSA, that income is considered "need-based employment" and will be excluded when FAFSA calculations are done.)
- You will gain valuable work experience, will make contacts that could benefit you for years to come, and will have an employer who knows you are a college student first and who will be as flexible as possible with your work schedule.
Basic Eligibility Requirements for FWS Jobs
To apply for a Federal Work-Study job, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have a Federal Financial Aid award for the current academic year that includes a "Work-Study Job" message.
- Be in "Good" or "Warning/Probationary" financial aid standing
- Be enrolled in at least 6.0 financial-aid-eligible units at Foothill College for the quarter you would like to start working
- Have a cumulative Foothill-De Anza GPA of at least 2.0
- Have a quarterly GPA of at least 2.0 in your most recent quarter (and in the most recent quarter that you earned at least 6.0 units)
Note: Check your MyPortal Financial Aid Award messages.
If you have a Pell Grant or an offer of a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan,
but not a Work-Study Job message, you may still be eligible. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out.
The Early Bird . . .
- Each year we have enough funds to fill about 25-35 FWS positions. Once those funds are awarded, hiring stops.
- We start interviewing for Summer-start positions (which begin as early as July 1st) in June and for Fall-start positions (which can start as early as September 1st) in late July.
- Historically, we are out of our initial pool of funds by October 31. Once we are out those funds, we stop posting "Work-Study job" notices.
How do I get a FWS job?
We have a list of current FWS job openings that contains basic job descriptions, eligibility requirements, and instructions for applying for each particular job.
How to view the Current Job Openings list:
- The list contains jobs for both Foothill and De Anza campuses. You may only apply for Foothill campus jobs.
- To sort the list so that Foothill jobs appear first, click the "Campus" heading twice.
- Click on any job title to view details about that job and to get instructions on how to apply for that job.
You may want to apply for more than one position to increase your chances of being hired, but you should only accept one offer.
Link to list of Current FWS Job Openings
If there are no current job openings, have I missed my chance for a job this academic year?
Happily, no. Additional FWS jobs (and funds) can open up throughout the year. Keep checking this page.
You can also add your name to Federal Work-Study Jobs Waitlist (below). We will periodically draw from eligible candidates on the Waitlist in order to fill positions.
Federal Work-Study Jobs Waitlist
Add your name only AFTER you have:
- been offered a Pell Grant and/or a Federal Direct Student Subsidized Loan for this academic year AND
- you are enrolled in at least 6.0 units for the Waitlist's quarter.
Note: If you add your name before you meet both of these requirements, your name will be automatical removed from the list.