Office of Finance & Administrative Services
Budget Updates 2020-2021
Budget Updates 2018-2019
Phase II Budget Reduction Timeline
This winter quarter, our college will continue the discussion around Phase II budget reductions.
Please note the following dates and attend if you can.
Friday, Jan.18: (1-3 p.m.) Advisory Council meeting - First read (presentation of Phase II budget reductions - post SRP - with reorganization proposal)
Wednesday, Jan. 23: (2-3 p.m.) Public Forum
|Thursday, Jan. 31 (11 a.m.-noon) Public Forum (repeat)|
|Friday, Feb. 1: (1-3 p.m.) Advisory Council meeting - Second read (presentation of Phase II budget reductions - post SRP - with reorganization proposal)|
|Friday, Feb. 8: (1-3 p.m.) Advisory Council meeting - Third and final read (presentation of Phase II budget reductions - post SRP - with reorganization proposal)|
|Friday, March 15: (10:30 a.m.-2 p.m.) Governance Mid-Year Summit (check in, self-assessment & Vision for Success discussion) -- for members of governance committees & Administrative Council|
|July 1, 2019: Year 1, 2 & 3 cuts must be fully implemented.|
The college is soliciting feedback at various governance meetings and via this feedback form.
The district and the college are also holding town hall meetings to discuss the budget and upcoming reductions.
The budget estimates were based on enrollment projections and financial conditions that are constantly shifting and are subject to change.
Due to declining enrollment, the Foothill-De Anza Community College District (FHDA) began the 2017/18 FY with a structural operating deficit of $10.3 million.
To counter this, the district identified a budget reduction strategy that included:
- District-wide reductions of: -$2M for 2017/18, -$3M for 2018/19, and -$5M for 2019/20.
- Due to the further decline in FTES, the District recommended an additional reduction of -$7.6M in the third year bringing the total reduction for 2019/20 to -$12.6M.
- Distribution of reductions is 35% Foothill, 50% De Anza, and 15% District.
- Foothill’s share of the reduction is $6.16M.
- As of July 1, 2018, Foothill implemented $1.75M reductions in three areas: Finance, Marketing & President's Office; Instruction & Workforce; and Student Services.
- Foothill College is in the process of obtaining a recommendation for the additional $4.4M in budget reductions to meet the college's target.
Phase I Budget Reduction Timeline
|July 1, 2018: Budget Reductions for Years 1 & 2 (total of $1,750,000) were identified.|
|October 3, 2018: District Budget Town Hall|
October 5, 2018: Governance Council meeting
|October 19, 2018: Council approves minutes from Oct. 5 meeting.|
October 24, 2018: College Budget Town Hall in Hearthside Room, 2:30-3:30 p.m.
November 2, 2018: Additional $4,410,000 for Year 3 reductions identified.
*Based on FTES figures and financial outlook.
CCCCO New Funding Formula
- The California Community College Chancellor's Office's (CCCCO) new funding formula will also impact the District budget.
- The new formula will go into effect after the 2018/19 fiscal year, however the CCCCO has granted a three year hold-harmless provision to allow community colleges and districts to adjust their budgets accordingly.
- The new funding formula encourages access for underrepresented students, supports low income students, rewards colleges for improving student success metrics, and improves overall equity and predictability so districts and colleges can better plan their instruction and support programs.
For additional information see the Key Documents listed below.
- 2017/18 FHDA District Adopted Budget
- PaRC meeting June 6, 2018, Budget Update
- CCCCO Funding Formula FAQ May 22, 2018
- State Chancellor's Recommendations on Funding
- Overview of Proposed Changes to CCC Funding Formula
- California Legislative Analyst's Office, The 2018/19 Budget: Overview
- Community College League of California, Governor Brown's Proposed 2018/19 State Budget
- California Department of Finance, eBudget website