New English Placement Requirements for Freshman Composition
Options for Taking Freshman Composition
Based on your English placement, we offer three transfer-level English course options for succeeding in freshman composition at Foothill.
Follow Steps to Register for Your Option
Check your placement results in MyPortal
Review schedule of classes to select a class section that matches your placement option.
All ENGL 1A class sections are listed together in the schedule of classes. Those sections ending in C require concurrent enrollment in a corresponding ENGL 246A section as noted in the ENGL 1A section footnote.
If you are placed in ENGL 1A with NO corequisite requirement, DO NOT register for a section that ends in C — unless you choose to to take ENGL 246A for the added support.
If you are placed in ENGL 1A + ENGL 246, select an ENGL 1A section ending with C and note the matching CRNs as listed below. You will need them to register for both classes together.
If you experience any problems while registering in MyPortal, please fill out the A&R Help Form.
|ENGL 1A||CRN||ENGL 246||CRN|
Register for Selected Placement Result Class
Before your start, remember to have your chosen class section 5-digit CRNs handy.
- LOG IN to MyPortal
- SELECT Apps from menu
- Under Students, SELECT Student Registration App
- Under Registration Tools, SELECT Add or Drop Classes
- SELECT Foothill Term and SELECT Submit
- ADD the two CRN numbers under Add Classes Worksheet (or just the one CRN if you only need ENGL 1A)
- SELECT Submit Changes. The classes will be added to your Current Schedule.
- If you experience any problems while registering in MyPortal, please fill out the A&R Help Form.