Your Safety Script
Phoning for Help - Immediate Threat to Life or Property
- In an emergency, use your cell phone to contact Foothill Police Dispatch Center directly at 408.924.8000. Calling 9-1-1 from your cell phone can result in reaching the CHP Dispatch Center in Vallejo.
- Emergency help may also be obtained by calling 9-1-1 from any landline campus phone. At Foothill, this includes office phones, classroom phones and pay phones.
The Foothill College Police Department is located on the ground floor of the Campus Center in Room 2103. The police department is staffed with regular, sworn police officers who have been trained in police procedures and emergency response.
Run - Hide - Defend
- Run - If there is a shooter and you can safely get away, do so. Get as far away as possible and take cover.
- Hide - If escape isn't possible, take cover. If possible, lock/blockade doors, turn off lights, and remain quiet. If unable to secure area, hide out-of-sight.
- Defend - If you cannot run or hide, commit to fighting.
Be Prepared - Watch the Video
Report Strange or Unusual Behavior
If you observe strange or unusual behavior on campus, call 9-1-1 or 408.924.8000 from your cell phone.
Emergency Notification System
Foothill-De Anza has implemented an emergency notification system to enable you stay informed when critical and serious emergencies including sudden power outages or school closures occur on any campus or District property.
This includes, but is not limited to, information via text message, recorded voice message, and e-mail.
Configure Your Telephone Contact Information
- LOG IN to myportal.fhda.edu
- SELECT My Profile on the left navigation menu
- SELECT Setup Campus Crisis Contact Info (under Personal Information)
- ADD/UPDATE your Primary and Alternate Phone Numbers
Drop - Cover - Hold On
- If there is a large earthquake, if possible drop and take cover under a close desk or table and hold on.
- If cover isn't close, do not try to run to something.
- Drop, make yourself small and cover head/neck with hands.
- Remain until the shaking stops. Then calmly exit the building and move away from buildings, trees, light poles, etc.
- When the fire alarm sounds or you are instructed to evacuate, remain calm.
- Exit the building promptly, and proceed to the designated evacuation area.
- Help anyone who needs assistance.
- During a power outage, remain calm.
- A college official will notify your instructor if daytime classes will continue.
- If the power outage occurs in the evening, college police and officials will determine if it is safe to conduct classes.
- We suggest you carry a working flashlight in your briefcase, purse, backpack and/or car.
Know Your Surroundings
- Whenever you are in new surroundings familiarize yourself with the layout, exits and evacuation assembly areas.
- Many buildings have signs indicating emergency exits, evacuation routes, etc.
- Each classroom at Foothill has a posted sign indicating what to do in an emergency.
- While walking, be aware of your surroundings; do not use your iPod, talk on your cell phone, etc.
- Especially at night, walk to your cars in groups.
- Before leaving your building, have your keys out and your belongings stored in your backpack or briefcase, leaving your hands free.
- If you must walk alone or in dark areas, call the Foothill Police Department 650.949.7317 for an escort.
- Always lock your bike and car.
- Keep your belongings with you. Don't leave items out unattended even for a moment.
Develop Your Family Plan Now
You'll feel more secure in an emergency if you know that your family has already created an emergency preparedness plan.
If you haven't already done so, answer these questions with your family at your earliest convenience:
- Have you talked to everyone in your family so they know escape routes out of your home?
- Do you have a central meeting place outside of your home where your family will meet?
- Have you designated one central person-preferably living out of state-who all your family knows to call to check in when there is a disaster?
- Do you have emergency supplies at home and in your car?
- Does someone know what time to expect you home?
Get more tips and register to contact and located your loved ones in an emergency through the American Red Cross Contact Loved Ones website.
Contact Us Here
Foothill-De Anza District Police
Campus Center, Building 2100 Room 2103
Other Important Campus Contacts
- Health Services
- Multimedia Classroom and Computer Support 408.864.8324
- Plant Services 650.949.6156