Chemistry 1A Exam
Exam vs. Prerequisite Clearance Process
Take an Chemistry 1A Exam at the Testing & Assessment Center if you:
- Plan to enroll in Chemistry 1A
- You took a Chemistry prerequisite course more than three (3) years ago
- Note: In general, high school Chemistry courses DO NOT meet the prerequisites, although Chemistry AP scores of 4 or higher will be considered.
Complete the Prerequisite Clearance Process if you have:
- Completed the prerequisite(s) courses at Foothill College within the past three (3) years
- Completed the equivalent prerequisite(s) courses at another U.S. College or University within three (3) years
- Taken and earned a score of '4' or higher on the following AP courses in high school.
Note: AP Chemistry (and have taken math prerequisites within several years)
Prerequisite Clearance Process
- To be cleared for a prerequisite, please complete a prerequisite clearance form and submit the form to Admissions & Records.
Unsure about your Foothill Assessment Testing History?
If you have already taken a Chemistry 1A Exam at Foothill College, your assessment will be vaild for 365 days.
- Valid scores will be posted on your Student Tab of MyPortal.
De Anza Chemistry Test Score Transfer
- Foothill College only accepts the transfer of De Anza Chem Exam scores.
- We cannot accept placement test scores from the CSUs, UCs, or other outside institutions.
- To transfer your De Anza Chem Exam Scores, please complete the Transfer of Scores process.
Description & Study Guide
- Your Foothill Student ID Number
- Your Photo ID (Student Card, Driver's License or Passport)
- The test is 45 minute timed test.
- Simple calculators and periodic tables are provided.
- Translation dictionaries are provided.
- Assessment testing is ONLY required for those students seeking to enroll in CHEM 1A, but have not completed the CHEM 20 or 25 prerequisite.
- Students must satisfy MATH 105 or higher before enrolling in CHEM 1A.
Exam Results & Retest Policy
Expiration of Assessment Results
- Assessment results are valid for one (1) year for the date that the score was earned.
Retest Policy for Chemistry 1A
Students may take the chemistry assessment one (1) time per year. No retest per calendar year.
Challenging Your Results
- Challenges to placements should be directed to the PSME Division Office.
- See the most current Placement Testing Retest Policy - Updated Oct. 10, 2017