Cherry Blossoms


Inside the USA

We recommend carrying the following documents:

  • Government-issued photo ID (drivers license or California ID card or passport) must be current (not expired).
  • Using drivers license?  Carry a photocopy of your passport photo page and your F-1 visa.
  • Copy of your current I-20.


Outside the USA

You must get a travel signature from our office BEFORE you leave the USA. Without the proper signature, you may not be able to re-enter the USA.

  • Signature must be less than 6 months old.
  • Bring your I-20 to the office 3 weeks before you travel.


Carry these documents


  • I-20 with current travel signature.
  • Passport (valid 6 months in the future).
  • Current F-1 visa in your passport (must be valid when you return to the USA).
  • Copy of your Foothill transcript (Unofficial transcript OK).

Traveling to Canada or Mexico?

You may need a visa or tourist card to visit these countries.



Expired Visa

  • You must receive a new F-1 visa in your home country before you return to the USA.
  • Schedule the visa appointment date to be as soon as possible after you arrive in your country.
  • Review the visa requirements for your country.
  • Many students must be fingerprinted before their visa appointment.
  • Bring your financial documents and an official Foothill transcript to the visa appointment.
  • Plan to renew your visa during summer or winter break, to allow enough time for your visa to be processed.






Foothill College Ambassadors

Group of ambassador students

We're Hiring an International Student Programs Ambassador for Fall 2021

Work virtually. Earn $17.60 an hour at 10–15 hours per week in our ISP office. Apply now!

How to Apply

ph default text

We're Here to Help!

International Student Programs Office


Administration Building 1900 Room 1933