Current International Students
Inside the USA
We recommend carrying the following documents:
- Government-issued photo ID (drivers license or California ID card or passport) must be current (not expired).
- Using drivers license? Carry a photocopy of your passport photo page and your F-1 visa.
- Copy of your current I-20.
Outside the USA
You must get a travel signature from our office BEFORE you leave the USA. Without the proper signature, you may not be able to re-enter the USA.
- Signature must be less than 6 months old.
- Bring your I-20 to the office 3 weeks before you travel.
Carry these documents
- I-20 with current travel signature.
- Passport (valid 6 months in the future).
- Current F-1 visa in your passport (must be valid when you return to the USA).
- Copy of your Foothill transcript (Unofficial transcript OK).
Traveling to Canada or Mexico?
You may need a visa or tourist card to visit these countries.
- Canada visa information: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/tourist.asp
- Mexico tourist card (FMM) information: https://www.gob.mx/cms/uploads/attachment/file/67045/Paises_y_regiones_que_requieren_VISA_para_viajar_a_Mexico-Paises_y_regiones_que_no_requieren_VISA_para_viajar_a_Mexico.pdf
- You must receive a new F-1 visa in your home country before you return to the USA.
- Schedule the visa appointment date to be as soon as possible after you arrive in your country.
- Review the visa requirements for your country.
- Many students must be fingerprinted before their visa appointment.
- Bring your financial documents and an official Foothill transcript to the visa appointment.
- Plan to renew your visa during summer or winter break, to allow enough time for your visa to be processed.