COVID-19 Health & Safety Guidelines
FAQs for Faculty and Staff
What if a student tests positive for COVID-19?
Refer students, regardless of whether they are in-person, online, out of state, or living outside of the country, to the contact tracing team.
Please use the Reporting a Positive COVID Case on Campus form to refer a student to the contact tracing team. Be sure to provide the following information about the student: name, student ID, phone number, email, etc.
What do I do if a student tells me they are symptomatic or they have had contact with someone who has/had COVID-19?
If the student is symptomatic, they will receive a “red badge” when completing their daily health assessment through the mobile application.
All students who are symptomatic or have concerns about exposure to COVID-19 should be referred to their Primary Care Provider or the Student Health Center for advice and medical evaluation. Students can make a free telemedicine appointment.
Contact tracing is not initiated unless a student has a positive COVID-19 test.
What do I do if my student gets a “red badge” and a “don’t come to campus” notification after doing their daily health assessment?
Please refer your student to the Red Badge Instructions page on what to do next.
Students who may pose a risk of COVID-19 transmission are “red-badged,” which means they are not permitted to come to campus for the entire day.
Students will be allowed to take the daily assessment only once per day. IF a student tells you that they believe an error occurred, they can schedule a free telemedicine appointment and work with the health center staff to possibly get admitted to campus that day.
Otherwise, please ensure that the student is NOT penalized for missing class and offer alternative options for making up work or lecture. It is never permissible to ask for “proof” of a positive COVID-19 test.
What should I do if a student in an in-person class reports that they are COVID-19 positive?
If a student reveals that they have tested positive for COVID-19, please refer your
student to the Red Badge Instructions page on what to do next. In addition, refer a student to take this survey to contact the tracing team on campus. Be sure to provide the following information
about the student: name, student ID, phone number, email, etc.
Please note that you, as a faculty, can also send an email over to begin an investigation. This will help the contact tracing team begin their due diligence to ensure that any exposed students, staff, and/or faculty are able to take appropriate measures to get tested and quarantined as advised by the county/state/federal guidelines. Please note that findings from the contact tracing investigation will not be made public to you.
As a reminder, if a student tests positive for COVID-19 and it is determined that the student was in your class within the exposure timeframes which include 48 hours prior to symptom onset and 48 hours prior to a positive COVID-19 test, you will be notified of exposure in general WITHOUT receiving any personal health identifiers.
IMPORTANT: If you email the contact tracing team, Do NOT copy your dean or other supervisors. You cannot disclose confidential information including names, emails, etc. Identifying a positive COVID-19 case.
What do I do if my student does not follow COVID-19 Health and Safety Behavioral Expectations?
- More than anything, having a conversation with the student first, before referring them to the Dean of Student’s office is the most important. Did they forget their PPE or are they deliberately refusing to abide by the COVID Health and Safety Behavioral Expectations (hyperlink to come) that they agreed to?
- If the student forgets their mask, advise the student to find the nearest PPE stations using the MODO app. The map of the school contains locaters to help students find a mask and hand sanitizer.
- Refer the student to the health center if they aren't familiar with the campus so they can get the PPE that they need.
- If the student still does not comply or refuses to wear a mask, provide a verbal warning with specific directions asking them to comply with the behavioral expectations including wearing a mask.
- If you cannot negotiate or converse with the student and the student is deliberately exhibiting defiance or willful disobedience, please submit a Maxient report.
Will Staff be notified if a student in their class has tested positive for COVID-19?
- Yes! Someone from the contact tracing team may contact faculty during the investigative process to elicit close contacts. Instructors are required to maintain a seating chart through daily attendance or assigned seating with list of students in attendance for each day.
- If a student tests positive for COVID-19 and it is determined that the student was in your class within the exposure timeframes which include 48 hours prior to symptom onset and 48 hours prior to a positive COVID-19 test, you will be notified of exposure in general WITHOUT receiving any personal health identifiers
- If faculty, staff, and/or students are following proper social distancing protocol and safety protocol the risk is minimal, quarantine/isolation protocols may not be advised, especially if close contacts have already been vaccinated.