Bachelor of Science Degree in Dental Hygiene
Program: Dental Hygiene
Note: Did you know that attending the Dental Assisting Program at Foothill College, could earn 4 extra points toward your application? Check out the Dental Assisting Program today!
Notice: Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure
Become a Dental Hygienist
What is a registered dental hygienist?
A registered dental hygienist is a preventive oral health professional licensed in dental hygiene who provides preventive, educational, and therapeutic services supporting total health through the promotion of optimal oral health.
As a Dental Hygienist, you will:
- Educate clients on the link between oral and systemic health
- Remove hard and soft dental deposits from the teeth
- Analyze the risk of oral diseases such as dental decay, oral cancer and periodontal disease
- Collaborate and consult with health care professionals regarding client treatment
- Expose and evaluate dental radiographs
- Apply dental sealants and fluoride to strengthen and protect tooth surfaces
- Educate clients about oral diseases and oral hygiene techniques and products
- Place interim therapeutic restorations
- Administer local anesthetic agents and nitrous oxide/oxygen analgesia for pain control
- Counseling on healthy dietary choices and habits
About Our Program
The Dental Hygiene Program at Foothill College was established in 1964 and is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. The program is well known throughout the community and the state for providing educated and qualified dental hygienists.
Successful completion of the two year program qualifies you to take the National Board Dental Hygiene Exam and the Regional Board Exams for Licensure as a Registered Dental Hygienist. See below table for the pass rates.
|Year||National Board Dental Hygiene Exam||Dental Hygiene Licensure Exam|
|2022||100 %||100 %|
|2021||100 %||100 %|
|2020||100 %||100 %|
|2019||100 %||100 %|
|2018||100 %||100 %|
Apply for Entry-Level Track Dental Hygiene Program
Important changes were made for the upcoming application cycle 23-24. Review the application sample carefully.
Did you know that attending the Dental Assisting Program at Foothill College, could earn 4 extra points toward your application? Check out the Dental Assisting Program today!
We're Here to Help!
Truc Nguyen, Dental Administrative Assistant
Dental hygienists with a Bachelor's degree can pursue many career opportunities. They can work as a(n)...
- Public Health