The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui
Chicago! A city of jazz and gangsters, prohibition and poverty. Amongst the murk of the Great Depression, there’s room for a small time crook like Arturo Ui to make a name for himself. Ui and his henchmen just want to look after you, to offer protection for workers, for jobs, for businesses. Nothing to fear. But a little bribery here, some harmless corruption there, and soon something much more dangerous takes hold. Brecht’s satirical masterpiece about the rise of a demagogue in a new adaptation by Pulitzer, Olivier and Tony Award-winning American playwright, Bruce Norris.
- Tuesday and Wednesday, September 17 and 18, 6:30-9:30pm
- Lohman Theatre, Foothill College, 12345 El Monte Road, Los Altos Hills, CA. free one hour parking in Lot 8
- Callbacks if needed Sunday, September 22..
Prepared monologue or cold readings from the script.
- Rehearsals Sunday – Thursday evenings starting September 25
- Tech weekend Saturday and Sunday, November 2 and 3
Thursdays through Sundays, November 7 through 24
- The play is set originally in 1930’s Chicago and many of the characters have gangsta’ accents.
- This play contains mature language and content. If you have specific concerns, please talk to the director.
- I am seeking understudies for all major roles. Understudies will get extensive rehearsal time but will not be guaranteed performances. Please let me know if you are interested.
Partial list of characters
- Ui - a small time gangster, M/F, 30+
- Roma, Giri, Givola – Ui’s gang
- Dogsborough – A respected councilman, M/F 40+
- Young Dogsborough – Son or daughter, 18-25
- Clark, Caruther, Butcher, Flake – Members of the Cauliflower Trust
- Ignatius Dullfeet – a journalist
- Betty Dullfeet - wife
- Ragg – a reporter
- Sheet – a shipyard owner
- Bowl – shipyard accountant
- Actor – a washed up thespian
- Hook – warehouse owner
- Miscellaneous bodyguards, lawyers, grocers, etc
Open gender and color conscious casting. Non-AEA. No roles precast.