The Garden Learning Community
For any questions, email: LRC@fhda.edu
Tutoring Moves to Virtual Format
- All STEM Center, TLC, and Pass The Torch tutoring moves online. See our Tutoring website for more information.
Garden Tutoring Schedule:
Tutoring is available through ZOOM during the of Fall 2020 (see schedule).
Note: You'll need a quiet space and a computer with a microphone.
- To access online tutoring, visit Tutoring website and follow the instructions.
The Garden at the STEM Center
- A friendly, welcoming Learning Community: The Garden is specifically designed with the student’s learning style in mind, and focus on specialized tutoring for all learning styles and tempos to provide an experience to inspire students to return.
- Friendly Counselors, Instructors, and STEM Center tutors, are ready to assist the students at any level of knowledge.
- Our STEM Center tutors assigned to The Garden are trained by the participating departments to understand their student’s learning style and potential specific challenges.
- The Socratic Method is applied to identify gaps in the student’s knowledge, regardless of the class level of the topic being tutored, so that learning and confidence levels increase in parallel.
- Once the foundational elements are in place, the student can go forth with much greater ease and confidence, as additional knowledge is added on a very strong foundation.
History of The Garden
- The Garden, officially opened on 2020/Feb/20, as a collaborative project among several
Foothill College departments and programs, including:
- Disability Resource Center (DRC)
- Math Performance Success (MPS)
- Psych Services
- Veterans Resource Center (VRC)
These groups have a common strategy to stregthen a student's foundation for success, by leveraging principles found in Universal Design for Learning, and principles of Neurodiversity.
- Students able to use The Garden's services must be affiliated with the following programs:
- Foundations Lab
- Psych Services
- Tech Core
- Due to privacy laws:
- For all other affiliated students, complete the following form for evaluation: Evaluation Form.
New Addition to The Garden
In order to increase both the knowledge and confidence levels of the students, we are providing an AI (Artificial Intelligence) driven learning system called ALEKS, which has been used succesfully for several years as part of the Summer Bridge Math program at Foothill College.
The ALEKS software is available on the computing workstations in The Garden.