Learn a Foreign Language
The Foreign Language Department of the Foothill College Language Arts Division is dedicated to
- developing the language and critical thinking skills necessary for students to succeed in their academic classes and in the workplace;
- fostering global understanding and an appreciation for diverse cultures;
- and promoting in students a deeper understanding of themselves and others through literature.
If you are planning to transfer, you need to complete level 2 (second quarter) of a language other than English.
From that point, enhance your career options by taking more advanced courses and getting a degree in the language.
- Meet your "Language-Other-Than- English" requirement for transfer.
- Get ahead in your career.
- Develop the language and culture skills to help you in your future career in an increasingly global community.
- Develop your current bilingual skills to an academic/professional level.
Foreign Language Placement & Credit by Exam
- Fill out a Foreign Language Placement Form and bring it with you to a counseling appointment for placement determination.
- Or, you can fax this form to (650) 949-6125 and your placement determination will be e-mailed to you at the e-mail address you provide on the form.
- Students with some prior knowledge of Japanese or Spanish can get credit by exam for one quarter of the language. Learn more.