Program Review Committee
Wednesday, Jan. 31, 2018
Program Review is the process by which instructional and non-instructional programs systematically assess themselves to ensure currency, relevance, appropriateness, and achievement of stated goals and outcomes related to student learning and institutional effectiveness.
The Foothill College Program Review Committee (PRC) is responsible for evaluating (comprehensive) program reviews. The PRC also evaluates mandated remediation plans as they arise, to determine whether they represent a viable plan for improvement towards achieving program and college goals.
The Program Review Committee (PRC) evaluates all regularly scheduled comprehensive program reviews in the Winter term. In addition, the PRC assesses all programs that have been identified for an out-of-cycle comprehensive review and any program remediation plans (as described below). Using program review data, the PRC categorizes each program as GREEN, YELLOW or RED. The PRC then presents a summary of their evaluations and recommendations to PaRC in the Spring term.
PRC recommendations to the Planning & Resource Council (PaRC) will include:
1. COLOR CATEGORIZATION
- GREEN signifies the program is recommended to continue in the regular program review cycle.
- YELLOW signifies that trend analysis indicates the program is not meeting targets and/or indicators identified within the program review document, or that the program review document is incomplete.
- RED signifies that trend analysis indicates a notable and persistent decline in viability, an abrupt change to one or more of the targets and/or indicators, or that a program previously categorized as YELLOW has not successfull implemented its remediation plan.
2. AREAS OF COMMENDATION AND/OR CONCERN
3. RECOMMENDATIONS FOR FOLLOW-UP BY THE PROGRAM
- Continuing or resuming the regularly scheduled 3-year comprehensive program review cycle.
- An out-of-cycle comprehensive program review with remediation plan.
- Annual program review with remediation plan.
4. THE NATURE AND TIMING OF THE REMEDIATION PLAN (if one is recommended)
- When it is due (e.g. end of June of the current year, the next Fall term, etc.)
- Who will initially review the plan (e.g. submitted to the supervising administrator by the end of June with PRC reviewing an update in the Fall term, or submitted to PRC in the Fall term)
- Whether the remediation plan should explicitly identify goals, benchmarks and timelines for improving areas of concern, or whether it should focus on a follow-up response to sections in need of clarification/re-writing.
Any program receiving a YELLOW or RED will have the opportunity to respond to this rating at PaRC. PaRC may accept some or all of the recommendations and/or request further information and clarification from the PRC. PaRC may then recommend program remediation, suspension or discontinuance to the College President. The College President will either accept PaRC's recommendation(s), or explain his/her reason for not accepting PaRC's recommendation(s). Following the PaRC recommendations on next steps, the approved program review summary is sent to the Operations and Planning Committee (OPC) for inclusion in their resource allocation process.
The rubric used by the PRC for evaluation of the comprehensive program review documents can be found HERE.
The list of completed and scheduled comprehensive program reviews (2012-2018) can be found HERE.
Resources and Documents
Add more information here.
- Bullet list item (under construction)