Mission & Goals
The mission of the Foothill College Dental Assisting Program is in accord with the mission of the Foothill-De Anza Community College District.
The purpose of the dental assisting program is to educate students who will positively impact the oral health status of the community. This education will include courses in the basic, social and dental sciences, liberal arts and public health with emphasis on the clinical aspect of the dental assisting practice. This education will provide the student with a foundation to pursue life long learning.
The goals of the Dental Assisting Program at Foothill College are designed to prepare the beginning dental assisting student to:
- Work successfully as a member of the dental team.
- Work closely with the dentist and dental hygienist in a variety of dental settings.
- Provide comprehensive dental assisting care to individuals from diverse socioeconomic, educational, and or cultural backgrounds.
- Assume, if necessary, primary responsibility for the running of the back office, front office, insurance and/or financial aspects of the dental practice.
- Assume responsibility for prevention of disease transmission in the work environment.
- Perform the dental assisting functions that are legally allowed in a safe and ethical manner.
- Actively pursue continuing and advanced education.