STEM Success Center
Student Employment Hiring Process 2020 Spring Quarter
About the Process
Below is the Foothill College STEM Center Hiring Process for Foothill College full-time (12 units minimum) students, being considered for part-time employment for the following job roles:
- Clerical Assistant: STEM Center Front Desk Host
- Embedded Tutor: STEM Center Embedded (in-class) Tutor
- You will need to receive the "Authorization to Begin Work" email prior to commencing in your job role !
Student Employees are allowed to work up to 19 hours. per week
Make sure that the total number of hours from ALL your jobs is not more than 19 hours total. For example, if you work as a STEM Center Peer Assistant and a STEM Center Clerical Assistant and also work at the Foothill College Library, your total number of combined hours cannot exceed 19.
Steps to Apply for Employment
Step 1: Complete the Job Application Survey
- If you have not already done so, complete the Job Application Survey
Step 2: Student Candidate Reserves Interview Time Online
- Once the job application survey is reviewed, and approved for the next step, you will receive a link with directions to reserve your interview time. Once you reserve your interview time, forward your reservation to email@example.com
- On the day and time of your interview reservation, stop by the STEM Center Main Lab Front Desk and ask the Front Desk Host for directions for your STEM Center Student Employee interview.
Step 3: Prescreening of the Student Candidate by the Student Employment Office
- No action for the student in this step, except possibly being requested for additional information.
- Once your interview is completed, and approved for the next step, the Student Employment Coordinator will screen the Student Candidate for verification of Employment Eligibility, and notify the STEM Center Staff.
- For eligibility requirements, see the Financial Aid Office Employment web page.
Step 4: Student Candidate Follow-up with the Student Employment Office
- Once the Student Candidate is verified for Employment Eligibility, the student will need to complete the Student Employment Packet (SEP - see below instructions), then follow up with the Student Employment Office.
Follow steps below depending on your residency status.
- 1st-time Student Employees at Foothill College: Visit the Foothill College Student Employment website, and scroll down until you see the "Student Employment Packet and Instructions" rectangular dialog box. Fill out their Student Employment Packet (SEP) online, then print it, and complete it
(including all signatures) before contacting the Financial Aid Student Employment
- For International Students that need a Social Security Number (SSN): You will need to stop by the STEM Center to pick up your SSN Letter, and submit to the International Office. Once your SSN Letter is approved, you will be notified by the International Office to proceed to the Social Security Office. You will need to wait for your SSN to arrive prior to proceeding to the next step.
- For International F-1 students: Submit the SEP to the International Programs Office to be signed by Barbara Brown before contacting the Student Employment Office. If your Social Security Number is not yet in our database, you will need to contact the Foothill College Admissions & Records to have it entered in the system, before following up with the Student Employment Office.
- For all Student Employees: Submit your original I-9 required documents, as instructed by the Student Employment Office.
- For all Student Employees that have completed all previous steps successfully: You are assigned a "Blue Card", for each of your job roles at Foothill College. Once the Blue Cards are processed by the Student Employment Office, and approved, you should receive an email informing you that you have "Authorization to begin work". Then and only then will you be able to commence working in the job role specified in your Blue Card instructions.
Submit your completed SEP and the appropriate documentation (depending on your residency status) to the Financial Aid Student Employment Office, as instructed by the Student Employment Office.
Do not start working until you receive the email with the "Authorization to begin work".
We're Here to Help!
STEM Success Center
Building 4200, Room 4213
Spring 2020 Lab Hours
April 13-June 26See lab locations and hours
STEM Center Study Rooms
Academic Dates & Deadlines