Science Learning Institute
Work with SLI
The Science Learning Institute has work and service leadership opportunities for current students, alumni, and community members. Read on!
Interested in a job with the Science Learning Institute? Want to get more involved behind the scences to help move the mission of the Science Learning Institute forward? Come join us!
SLI IS NOW RECRUITING!
SLI Student Advisory Group
The SLI Student Advisory Group is a new formation of Foothill College student and alumni leaders interested in advising, supporting, and initiating change efforts at Foothill and in the local communities to increase participation, retention, and persistence in STEM disciplines and in the career pipeline of underrepresented groups in STEM.
SLI is looking for students who have an interest in diversity in STEM. You don’t need to be a STEM major to be part of this group, but it helps if you have taken a STEM course at Foothill College (STEM = science, technology, engineering, and math).
This is a service leadership opportunity and is unpaid. SLI is now recruiting members for the 2021-22 school year.
- Read the overview to make sure you understand the responsibilites and commitment.
- Fill out the online application by September 20, 2021. To see what the application looks like, click on this link.
- If invited, you will be interviewed by the SLI Director.
School Year 2021-22 Jobs
SLI has jobs for students throughout the school year and summer. See below for the current open opportunity
FWS SLI Administrative Assistant I
If you have Federal Work Study (FWS) in your financial aid package, you are eligible for this job.
Please review this job description (through the Foothill College Work-Study website).
The SLI Administrative Assistant will work closely with the SLI Director in a range of administrative and
programmatic supports. These tasks will include the following:
- Researching scholarship and internship opportunities for students and posting them on the SLI website.
- Developing and maintaining a STEM student listserve.
- Developing outreach materials and collateral related to SLI programs.
- Spreadsheet data entry and data management related to the PRE-STEM program.
- Student outreach and awareness raising about events and programs that SLI sponsors.
- Assisting with creating events and activities for STEM students.
- Collaborating with student STEM clubs.
Hourly rate: $17.60/ hour
Please reach out to Sophia Kim, SLI Director, if you have questions.
Currently recruiting for the position below!
STEM Workforce Specialist
Please review the job description before applying.
The STEM Workforce Specialist is a temporary role that is supervised by the SLI director and will mainly be responsible for career development and exploration programming for PRE-STEM and programmatic and administrative support for SLI's internship program.
- PRE-STEM – a cohort program for students from underrepresented groups in STEM pursuing their STEM degrees and disciplines. The cohort takes their math and English courses together and also meets biweekly in community building and professional development sessions.
- School Year and Summer STEM Internships – internships in partnership with industry, higher education institutions, and other organizations for students to gain professional and research experience in STEM disciplines.
- Run biweekly cohort session for the learning community of PRE-STEM students, incorporating workshops and guest speakers on STEM disciplines and careers to expose students to potential STEM pathways.
- Support students in a group and a one-on-one in pursuing their STEM degrees at Foothill while exploring careers and obtaining internships and scholarships.
For SLI Internships Program
- Support the SLI director in setting up partnerships with higher education institutions and industry partners to create internship placements for Foothill College students.
- Provide administrative support for the program, including creating internship position descriptions and recruitment materials, outreaching to students, working with the scholarships office to disburse scholarships for internships, and other tasks.
- Run cohort seminars for school-year interns focused on professional development and exposure to guest speakers in different careers.
- Work with students on developing their resumes, LinkedIn profiles, and other professional portfolio components.
- Develop and implement workshops for students on job interviews, writing internship and scholarship application essays, searching for internships through Handshake, LinkedIn, and other platforms, and other professional development topics.
- Other related tasks designated by the SLI Director
Term of employment: 9/20/21 through school year (flexible start and end dates).
Review the job description before applying.
STEM Resources & Opportunities
Sign up to receive emails about internships, scholarships, conferences, and other opportunities for students in STEM.