Degrees, Certificates, &Transfer Programs
The study of Japanese is an excellent choice for students in the Bay Area since a considerable amount of business and trade occurs with Japan by California industries. The electronics industry is especially interested in employing persons who speak Japanese and are familiar with Japanese customs. It is an excellent major or minor for those who plan graduate work in business, electronics or law.
Program Learning Outcomes:
• The student will be able to communicate with native speakers of Japanese, using the appropriate language, styles, sensitivity and level of respectfulness in various situations.
• The student will demonstrate knowledge of Japanese society, culture and history, and will be able to analyze and discuss cultural differences and similarities.
- Major: 40
• English proficiency: ENGL 1A, 1AH, 1S & 1T, or equivalent.
• Mathematics proficiency: MATH 17, 105, 108, 180, or equivalent.
A minimum of 90 units is required* to include:
• Completion of one of the following general education patterns: Foothill General Education, CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
• Core courses (30 units)
• Support courses (10 units)
*Additional elective course work may be necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement for the associate degree.
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be taken for a letter grade. In addition, a grade of "C" or better is required for all core and support courses used for the degree.
Core Courses (30 units)
JAPN 1 Elementary Japanese I (5 units)
JAPN 2 Elementary Japanese II (5 units)
JAPN 3 Elementary Japanese III (5 units)
JAPN 4 Intermediate Japanese I (5 units)
JAPN 5 Intermediate Japanese II (5 units)
JAPN 6 Intermediate Japanese III (5 units)
Note: For students who can demonstrate proficiency equivalent to one year of college Japanese, JAPN 1, 2 and 3 may be waived. However, if you are waived out of JAPN 1-2-3 (15 units), you must take at least 15 units from the support courses below to satisfy the 30-unit core requirement.
Support Courses (10 units)
Select 10 units from the following:
JAPN 13A Intermediate Conversation I (4 units)
JAPN 13B Intermediate Conversation II (4 units)
JAPN 14A Advanced Conversation I (4 units)
JAPN 14B Advanced Conversation II (4 units)
JAPN 101A Japanese Language Proficiency Test Preparation I (4 units)
JAPN 101B Japanese Language Proficiency Test Preparation II (4 units)
JAPN 101C Japanese Language Proficiency Test Preparation III (4 units)
JAPN 101D Japanese Language Proficiency Test Preparation IV (4 units)
JAPN 192 Community Service Learning for Japanese (1 unit)
Note: If you are waived of JAPN 1-2-3 (15 units), you must take at least 15 units from the support courses to satisfy the 30 unit core requirement.
2018-2019 | Status: Approved | Modified: 2018-08-06 07:54:53 | Dept Code: JAPN