Degrees, Certificates, &Transfer Programs
Language Arts Division (650) 949-7043
The study of Japanese is an excellent choice for students in the Bay Area since a considerable amount of business and trade is carried on with Japan by California industries. The electronics industry is especially interested in employing persons who speak Japanese and are familiar with Japanese customs and culture. It is an excellent major or minor for those who plan graduate work in business, electronics, or law.
Program Learning Outcomes:
• The student will be able to communicate with native speakers of Japanese, using the appropriate language, styles, sensitivity and level of respectfulness in various situations.
• The student will demonstrate knowledge of Japanese society, culture and history, and will be able to analyze and discuss cultural differences and similarities.
Units required for Major: 90
• English proficiency: ENGL 1A, 1AH, 1S & 1T, ESLL 26 or equivalent.
• Mathematics proficiency: MATH 57, 105, 108 or equivalent.
A minimum of 90 units is required* to include:
• All Foothill General Education requirements (30 Units)
• Core courses (30 Units)
• Support courses (15 Units)
*Additional elective course work may be necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement for the associate degree.
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be taken for a letter grade. In addition, a GPA of 2.0 or higher is required in all core and support courses for the degree.
Core Courses (30 units)
JAPN 1 Elementary Japanese I (5 units)
JAPN 2 Elementary Japanese II (5 units)
JAPN 3 Elementary Japanese III (5 units)
JAPN 4 Intermediate Japanese I (5 units)
JAPN 5 Intermediate Japanese II (5 units)
JAPN 6 Intermediate Japanese III (5 units)
Note: For students who can demonstrate proficiency equivalent to one year of college Japanese, JAPN 1, 2 and 3 may be waived. If JAPN 1, 2 and 3 are waived, the student must complete the remaining units of Core Course requirements from the Support Courses list.
Support Courses (15 units)
JAPN 13A Intermediate Conversation I (4 units)
JAPN 13B Intermediate Conversation II (4 units)
JAPN 14A Advanced Conversation I (4 units)
JAPN 14B Advanced Conversation II (4 units)
JAPN 33 Introduction to Japanese Culture (4 units)
JAPN 35 Survey of Contemporary Japanese Culture (4 units)
JAPN 53 Modern Japanese Society, Culture & Business Customs (3 units)
JAPN 192 Community Service Learning for Japanese (1 unit)
2012-2013 | Status: Approved | Modified: 2012-04-25 11:29:38 | Dept Code: JAPN