12345 EL MONTE ROAD, LOS ALTOS HILLS, CA 94022-4599 - foothill.edu
The Women's Studies major offers both male and female students opportunities to study the experiences, history, contributions and cultural images of women domestically and internationally, with a strong emphasis on global understanding and multicultural contributions. Courses from a variety of traditional disciplines, including sociology, history, psychology, communication and art, are included within the major.
• The student will be able to identify connections between specific people, groups, events and ideas and larger sociological, psychological, historical and gender studies specific themes, developments and topics.
• The student will be able to critically analyze a variety of primary and secondary sources and draw valid sociological, psychological, historical, and gender studies interpretations from them.
A major in women's studies provides students with a unique contextual validation for today's woman, and prepares students who wish to enter fields such as law, medicine, and business. The major also allows students to pursue careers in health, teaching, government, counseling and community work. Through the women's studies major, students will gain knowledge regarding women's issues and will therefore be better prepared to work with both the general and the female population in a variety of areas.
• English proficiency: ENGL 1A, 1AH, 1S & 1T, or equivalent.
• Mathematics proficiency: MATH 17, 105, 108, 180, or equivalent.
A minimum of 90 units is required* to include:
• Completion of one of the following general education patterns: Foothill General Education, CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
• Core courses (16 units)
• Support courses (16 units)
*Additional elective course work may be necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement for the associate degree.
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be taken for a letter grade. In addition, a grade of "C" or better is required for all core and support courses used for the degree.
NOTE: Students having difficulty attaining an associate degree because of timing or availability of classes should consult with a counselor to submit a petition for course substitution.
SOC 28 Sociology of Gender (4 units)
WMN 5 Introduction to Women's Studies (4 units)
WMN 11 Women in Global Perspective (4 units)
WMN 21 Psychology of Women: Sex & Gender Differences (4 units)
or PSYC 21 Psychology of Women: Sex & Gender Differences (4 units)
Select 16 units from the following:
ART 2E A History of Women in Art (4.5 units)
COMM 10 Gender, Communication & Culture (5 units)
KINS 10 Women in Sports (5 units)
PSYC 14 Child & Adolescent Development (4 units)
PSYC 22 Psychology of Prejudice & Discrimination (4 units)
SOC 30 Social Psychology (4 units)
or PSYC 30 Social Psychology (4 units)
SOC 40 Aspects of Marriage & Family (4 units)
SOSC 20 Cross-Cultural Perspectives for a Multicultural Society (4 units)
WMN 70R Independent Study in Women's Studies (1 unit)
WMN 71R Independent Study in Women's Studies (2 units)
WMN 72R Independent Study in Women's Studies (3 units)
WMN 73R Independent Study in Women's Studies (4 units)
FOOTHILL COLLEGE - 12345 EL MONTE ROAD, LOS ALTOS HILLS, CA 94022-4599 - foothill.edu
2018-2019 | Status: Approved | Modified: 2018-08-06 07:58:51 | Dept Code: WMN