Business and Social Sciences Division | Department Website
The History department offers courses that explore political, economic, social, and cultural themes of the past with a strong emphasis on global understanding and multi-cultural contributions. Courses cover the geographical globe from Eastern/Western Europe to Asia and the Americas.
• Students will be able to identify connections between specific people, groups, events and ideas and larger historical themes, developments and topics.
• Students will be able to critically analyze a variety of primary and secondary sources and draw valid historical interpretations from them.
A major in history is an excellent preparation for students who wish to enter the legal profession, politics, government service, sociology, travel careers, international trade, library science, elementary and secondary teaching. Today's students require a global comprehension for their careers and professions, as well as a fundamental understanding and appreciation of the multi-cultural aspects of the modern world that was shaped by the past. Enhancement with anthropology, geography, and political science is strongly urged.
• English proficiency: ENGL 1A, 1AH, 1S & 1T, ESLL 26 or equivalent.
• Mathematics proficiency: MATH 17, 105, 108 or equivalent.
A minimum of 90 units is required* to include:
• Completion of one of the following general education patterns: Foothill General Education, CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
• Core courses (24 units)
• Support courses (12 units)
*Additional elective course work may be necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement for the associate degree.
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be taken for a letter grade. In addition, a grade of "C" or better is required for all core and support courses used for the degree.
NOTE: Students having difficulty attaining an associate degree because of timing or availability of classes should consult with a counselor to submit a petition for course substitution.
HIST 4A History of Western Civilization to 800 CE (4 units)
HIST 4B History of Western Civilization: 700-1800 (4 units)
HIST 4C History of Western Civilization 1789-Present (4 units)
or HIST 4CH Honors History of Western Civilization 1789-Present (4 units)
HIST 17A History of the United States to 1815 (4 units)
HIST 17B History of the United States from 1812 to 1914 (4 units)
HIST 17C History of the United States from 1914 to the Present (4 units)
HIST 8 History of Latin America (4 units)
HIST 9 History of Contemporary Europe (4 units)
or HIST 9H Honors History of Contemporary Europe (4 units)
HIST 10 History of California: The Multicultural State (4 units)
HIST 16 Introduction to Ancient Rome (4 units)
or HIST 16H Honors Introduction to Ancient Rome (4 units)
HIST 18 Introduction to Middle Eastern Civilization (4 units)
HIST 19 History of Asia: China/Japan (4 units)
HIST 20 History of Russia & the Soviet Union (4 units)
HIST 54H Honors Institute Seminar in History (1 unit)
FOOTHILL COLLEGE - 12345 EL MONTE ROAD, LOS ALTOS HILLS, CA 94022-4599 - foothill.edu
2017-2018 | Status: Approved | Modified: 2017-04-11 09:42:54 | Dept Code: HIST