12345 EL MONTE ROAD, LOS ALTOS HILLS, CA 94022-4599 - foothill.edu
Diagnostic Medical Sonographer is a professional qualified by professional credentialing, academic and clinical experience to provide diagnostic patient care services using ultrasound. The scope of practice includes those procedures, acts and processes permitted by law, for which the individual has received education and clinical experience, has demonstrated competency and has completed the appropriate credentialing which is the standards of practice. Coursework includes use of sonography relevant to gynecology, obstetrics, abdominal subjects, superficial structures and vascular applications. The Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program was established in 1984. It is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (www.caahep.org). Accreditation is administered by the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography. The college is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Graduates of the program meet the educational requirements outlined under Prerequisite 1,2,3A of the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers. After eighteen consecutive months of competency based, classroom, laboratory instruction and clinical preceptorships, students receive the Certificate of Achievement and may choose to complete an Associate in Science degree option. Students are eligible to take the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) exams.
• Students will demonstrate the necessary knowledge, technical skills, analytical skills, interpersonal skills and diagnostic ability within the scope of practice for diagnostic medical sonography.
• Students will demonstrate the necessary knowledge and values pertaining to professional demeanor, including the implementation of confidentiality and privacy for the practice of diagnostic medical sonography.
Students typically pursue technical careers in the hospital, clinic, and office. With additional technical experience career positions may include supervisory positions, as a traveler or independent contractor. Most management, corporate and education positions require a baccalaureate or Master's degree in a related field.
• English proficiency: ENGL 1A, 1AH, 1S & 1T, or equivalent.
• Mathematics proficiency: MATH 17, 105, 108, 180, or equivalent.
A minimum of 90 units is required* to include:
• Completion of one of the following general education patterns: Foothill General Education, CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
• Core courses (116.5 units)
*Additional elective course work may be necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement for the associate degree.
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be taken for a letter grade. In addition, a grade of "C" or better is required for all core courses used for the degree or certificate.
Admittance to this program is through an application process. Program information, admission criteria and application to the program can be found on the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program website: foothill.edu/dms/
Program Prerequisites: (must be completed with a grade of "C" or better, unless otherwise noted)
• High school diploma, GED or equivalent.
• Successful completion of a two-year Allied Health Program with direct patient care experience such as Radiology Technology, Respiratory Therapy, Registered Nurse and/or bachelor degree from an accredited institution in the United States in a science/medically related discipline such as premed, registered nurse, or kinesiology with physical therapy assistance experience. Not all health care positions can or will provide the appropriate experiences. Please see program website for more information.
• BIOL 40A, 40B & 40C, or a semester of Anatomy and a semester of Physiology with laboratories (must be completed with a minimum GPA of 2.5).
• PHYS 2A or equivalent (must be completed with a minimum GPA of 2.5).
• MATH 105 or higher math.
• ENGL 1A, 1AH, or 1S & 1T or equivalent.
• AHS 52 or equivalent.
AHS 50A Introduction to Allied Health Programs (1.5 units)
DMS 50A Diagnostic Medical Sonography Principles & Protocols (4 units)
DMS 50B Sonography & Patient Care (2 units)
DMS 60A Critique & Pathology I (2 units)
DMS 72A Diagnostic Medical Sonography Procedures & Applications (11.5 units)
DMS 51A Sectional Anatomy (3 units)
DMS 53A Diagnostic Medical Sonography I (2 units)
DMS 54A Gynecology (2 units)
DMS 60B Critique & Pathology II (2 units)
DMS 70A Clinical Preceptorship I (11.5 units) (32 hrs/wk for 13 wks)
DMS 52A Physical Principles of Diagnostic Medical Sonography I (2 units)
DMS 53B Diagnostic Medical Sonography II (2 units)
DMS 54B Gynecology & Obstetrics (2 units)
DMS 60C Critique & Pathology III (2 units)
DMS 70B Clinical Preceptorship II (10.5 units) (32 hrs/wk for 12 wks)
DMS 52B Physical Principles of Diagnostic Medical Sonography II (2 units)
DMS 53C Diagnostic Medical Sonography III (2 units)
DMS 55A Obstetrics I (2 units)
DMS 60D Critique & Pathology IV (2 units)
DMS 70C Clinical Preceptorship III (9.5 units) (32 hrs/wk for 11 wks)
DMS 55B Obstetrics II (2 units)
DMS 56A Vascular Sonography (3 units)
DMS 60E Critique & Pathology V (2 units)
DMS 70D Clinical Preceptorship IV (11.5 units) (32 hrs/wk for 13 wks)
DMS 52C Physical Principles of Diagnostic Medical Sonography III (2 units)
DMS 56B Advanced Applications of Vascular Technology (2 units)
DMS 60F Critique & Pathology VI (2 units)
DMS 70E Clinical Preceptorship V (10.5 units) (32 hrs/wk for 12 wks)
DMS 80A Advanced Sonographic Principles (4 units)
The certificate of achievement is awarded upon completion of the core courses. General education courses are not required; however, the prerequisites and application requirements must be met.
FOOTHILL COLLEGE - 12345 EL MONTE ROAD, LOS ALTOS HILLS, CA 94022-4599 - foothill.edu
2018-2019 | Status: Approved | Modified: 2018-08-06 07:52:41 | Dept Code: DMS