Biological and Health Sciences Division | Department Website
The major in Biological Sciences is primarily intended for students who plan to transfer to a four-year institution to earn a bachelor’s degree. This major prepares students for careers in the health professions, teaching, forestry, agriculture, environmental protection and conservation, wildlife biology, biotechnology, basic research and many other fields. Students who plan to major in the Biological Sciences should also visit the Biology website at: foothill.edu/bio/programs/biosci/ Students with an interest in biology who do not intend to transfer to a four-year institution and earn a bachelor’s degree are encouraged to look into some of the other programs offered by the Biological and Health Sciences Division, which are: dental assisting, dental hygiene, diagnostic medical sonography (ultrasound), environmental horticulture, paramedic, pharmacy technician, radiologic technology, respiratory therapy, veterinary technology and/or veterinary assistant. Students who already have a bachelor degree can meet the biology requirement for medical school by taking BIOL 1A, 1B, and 1C.
• The biology majors sequence prepares students to use the scientific method to formulate questions, design experiments to test hypotheses, interpret experimental results to draw conclusions, communicate results both orally and in writing, and critically evaluate the use of the scientific method from published sources.
• The biology majors sequence prepares students to apply evolutionary theory at the molecular, cellular, organismal and population levels to explain the unity and diversity of living things.
• English proficiency: ENGL 1A, 1AH, 1S & 1T, ESLL 26 or equivalent.
• Mathematics proficiency: MATH 17, 105, 108 or equivalent.
A minimum of 90 units is required* to include:
• Completion of one of the following general education patterns: Foothill General Education, CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC)
• Core courses (48-54 units)
*Additional course work may be necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement for the associate degree.
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be taken for a letter grade. In addition, a grade of "C" or better is required for all core courses used for the degree.
Students planning to transfer to a four-year institution should meet with a counselor to develop an educational plan to ensure that both university general education and lower division major preparation requirements specific to the transfer institution(s) of choice are satisfied.
Students intending to transfer to the CSU system should inquire about the AS-T (Associate in Science for Transfer) in Biology.
BIOL 1A Principles of Cell Biology (6 units)
BIOL 1B Form & Function in Plants & Animals (6 units)
BIOL 1C Evolution, Systematics & Ecology (6 units)
CHEM 1A General Chemistry (5 units)
or CHEM 1AH Honors General Chemistry (5 units)
CHEM 1B General Chemistry (5 units)
or CHEM 1BH Honors General Chemistry (5 units)
CHEM 1C General Chemistry & Qualitative Analysis (5 units)
And select ONE option from the following:
Option #1: Organic Chemistry
CHEM 12A Organic Chemistry (4 units)
and CHEM 12AL Organic Chemistry Laboratory (2 units) or CHEM 13AH Honors Organic Chemistry Laboratory (3 units)
CHEM 12B Organic Chemistry (4 units)
and CHEM 12BL Organic Chemistry Laboratory (2 units) or CHEM 13BH Honors Organic Chemistry Laboratory (3 units)
CHEM 12C Organic Chemistry (4 units)
and CHEM 12CL Organic Chemistry Laboratory (2 units) or CHEM 13CH Honors Organic Chemistry Laboratory (3 units)
Option #2: Physics
PHYS 2A General Physics (5 units)
PHYS 2B General Physics (5 units)
PHYS 2C General Physics (5 units)
PHYS 4A General Physics (Calculus) (6 units)
PHYS 4B General Physics (Calculus) (6 units)
PHYS 4C General Physics (Calculus) (6 units)
FOOTHILL COLLEGE - 12345 EL MONTE ROAD, LOS ALTOS HILLS, CA 94022-4599 - foothill.edu
2017-2018 | Status: Approved | Modified: 2018-01-09 08:30:37 | Dept Code: BIOL