12345 EL MONTE ROAD, LOS ALTOS HILLS, CA 94022-4599 - foothill.edu
The Associate in Science in Early Childhood Education for Transfer degree prepares students for transfer to California State Universities (CSUs). Students who complete the Associate in Science in Early Childhood Education for Transfer degree will be ensured preferential transfer status to CSUs for early childhood education majors and majors in related disciplines. The Associate in Science in Early Childhood Education for Transfer degree requirements will fulfill the lower division major requirements at many CSUs. Students are advised, however, to meet with a counselor to assess the course requirements for specific CSUs. The Child Development Program deepens the student's understanding of children, their families and developmentally appropriate practices while preparing students for careers in early childhood education. In addition to ensuring preferential transfer status to CSUs for Early Childhood Education majors and majors in related disciplines, the program offers a strong foundation in child development that allows students to immediately take classroom and lab learning into the workplace to create quality developmentally appropriate learning environments.
• Students will be able to demonstrate understanding of the needs and characteristics of children from birth through middle childhood and the multiple influences on their development as related to the high-quality care and education of young children.
• Students will be able to demonstrate understanding of ethical standards and professional behaviors that deepen knowledge and commitment to the field of early care and education as related to National Association for the Education of Young Children Code of Ethical Conduct.
Associate in Science in Early Childhood Education for Transfer requires completion of a minimum of 90 units to include:
• CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or the *Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) (49-58 units) (full certification is required)
• Core and support courses (37 units, of which 8-12 units may satisfy the GE requirement)
• Transferable electives necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be completed with a grade of "C" (or "P") or better. In addition, the student must obtain a minimum GPA of 2.0.
*IMPORTANT NOTE: Although it is possible to fulfill the requirements for the Associate Degree for Transfer by completing the IGETC for UC pattern, admission to CSU requires completion of an Oral Communication course (IGETC Area 1C; CSU GE Area A-1); therefore, students who plan to transfer to CSU should complete this course as part of their GE or elective units.
CHLD 1 Child Growth & Development: Prenatal through Early Childhood (4 units)
CHLD 2 Child Growth & Development II: Middle Childhood through Adolescence (4 units)
CHLD 51A Affirming Diversity in Education (4 units)
CHLD 56 Observation & Assessment (4 units)
CHLD 56N Principles & Practices of Teaching Young Children (4 units)
CHLD 86B Practicum Student Teaching in an Early Childhood Program (5 units)
CHLD 88 Child, Family & Community (4 units)
CHLD 89 Curriculum for Early Care & Education Programs (4 units)
CHLD 95 Health, Safety & Nutrition in Children's Programs (4 units)
FOOTHILL COLLEGE - 12345 EL MONTE ROAD, LOS ALTOS HILLS, CA 94022-4599 - foothill.edu
2018-2019 | Status: Approved | Modified: 2018-04-20 12:52:25 | Dept Code: CHLD