Biological and Health Sciences Division | Department Website
The Associate in Science in Biology for Transfer degree prepares students for transfer to California State Universities (CSUs). Students who complete the Associate in Science in Biology for Transfer degree will be ensured preferential transfer status to CSUs for biology majors and majors in related disciplines. The Associate in Science in Biology for Transfer degree requirements will fulfill the lower division major requirements at many CSUs. Students are advised, however, to meet with a counselor to determine the lower division course requirements for specific CSUs. This degree may also provide excellent preparation for other majors. The major in Biology prepares students for careers in the health professions, teaching, forestry, agriculture, environmental protection and conservation, wildlife biology, biotechnology, microbiology, genetics, basic research and many other fields.
• Students will be able to use the scientific process to formulate questions, design experiments to test hypotheses, interpret experimental results to draw conclusions, communicate results both orally and in writing, and critically evaluate the use of the scientific method from published sources.
• Students will be able to apply evolutionary theory at the molecular, cellular, organismal and population levels to explain the unity and diversity of living things.
Associate in Science in Biology for Transfer requires completion of a minimum of 90 units to include:
• CSU General Education Breadth Requirements or the *Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) (49-58 units) (full certification is required)
• Core and support courses (55-58 units, of which 15-16 units may satisfy the GE requirement)
• Transferable electives necessary to meet the 90-unit minimum requirement
NOTE: All courses pertaining to the major must be completed with a grade of "C" (or "P") or better. In addition, the student must obtain a minimum GPA of 2.0.
*IMPORTANT NOTE: Although it is possible to fulfill the requirements for the Associate Degree for Transfer by completing the IGETC for UC pattern, admission to CSU requires completion of an Oral Communication course (IGETC Area 1C; CSU GE Area A-1); therefore, students who plan to transfer to CSU should complete this course as part of their GE or elective units.
BIOL 1A Principles of Cell Biology (6 units)
BIOL 1B Form & Function in Plants & Animals (6 units)
BIOL 1C Evolution, Systematics & Ecology (6 units)
CHEM 1A General Chemistry (5 units)
or CHEM 1AH Honors General Chemistry (5 units)
CHEM 1B General Chemistry (5 units)
or CHEM 1BH Honors General Chemistry (5 units)
CHEM 1C General Chemistry & Qualitative Analysis (5 units)
MATH 1A Calculus (5 units)
or MATH 1AH Honors Calculus I (5 units)
MATH 1B Calculus (5 units)
And complete ONE of the two sections below:
PHYS 2A General Physics (5 units)
and PHYS 2B General Physics (5 units)
and PHYS 2C General Physics (5 units)
PHYS 4A General Physics (Calculus) (6 units)
and PHYS 4B General Physics (Calculus) (6 units)
FOOTHILL COLLEGE - 12345 EL MONTE ROAD, LOS ALTOS HILLS, CA 94022-4599 - foothill.edu
2017-2018 | Status: Approved | Modified: 2017-04-11 09:35:26 | Dept Code: BIOL